Light bucking on decelleration

I have an issue with my 48 Super Six that is probably more of an annoyance that a problem. I need a new muffler so the sound probably makes it seem worse than it really is but when coasting in gear, down a long slope, my car hesitates and surges. No backfiring, just a slight bucking feeling. Does anyone have any ideas how to smooth it out? I don't know if it's related but I also have a slight intermittent misfire that I can't seem to get rid of. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• It may be the muffler at fault. My mazda ran rough and hesitated when cruising along. No rhyme nor reason to when it happened. One of the bafels inside the muffler blocked the airflow as it rattled around. Replaced it and the car never ran better cheers ken
  • Last year while driving down a country road, my car suddenly took off at full throttle. The poor old thing thought she was in a race! I pulled over and tried to shut her down but coming down from a high speed, it backfired and screwed up the muffler. Yes I know now - I should have used the clutch to slow it down a little. One of the butterflies had fallen into the motor. I managed to fish it out but it was thrashed. I rebuilt the carb using another used butterfly but was never able to make it run really good after that.
    The muffler is not loud enough to be much of a problem, just an annoyance. I'll have to replace it anyway so I'll see if it works! Thanks for your suggestion!
    Mike

• these cars sound good with a long flow through muffler, Cherry Bomb or the like, and not obnoxious just a mild rumble, just sayin ??