1936 hudson terraplane interior door handle failure

Hi all, 
Yesterday l was in the back of my 1936 terraplane and decided to open the door and the handle just went to butter and dissolved. The metal holding the pin in place went to pieces. I'm in the process of obtaining a replacement but thought I'd warn people maybe it's time not to use the interior door handle to pull the door shut as this pot metal after 80 years fail. Time to mount a pull handle on each door and save the risk to the other 3. I never really thought about the pressure you use pulling a door shut... So I thought I'd warn you with a heads up cheers ken 

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I have a box full of damaged handles like yours. Some can be welded repaired, and the small handle can be removed and fitted to reproduced handles. I have a complete set of 1936T reproduced handles, inside and out for sale. I reply to ozhudsonatgmail.com
  • Thanks Barry, Kevin from the New South Wales Het club thinks he might have a replacement for me. Will let me know next week. However good to know if that falls thru I've got you. Cheers ken 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm not sure about the 1936 models, but all the 1937 H & T's have drill holes in the door frame for mounting the optional pull-cord, which can be mounted on all four doors. This is an authentic way of pulling the door shut without pulling on the handle or attaching aftermarket hardware.  Maybe Hudson offered something similar in 1936?

(Thanks to Gregg Maroney, from whose website I borrowed this photo!)
  • Jon B said:
    I'm not sure about the 1936 models, but all the 1937 H & T's have drill holes in the door frame for mounting the optional pull-cord, which can be mounted on all four doors. This is an authentic way of pulling the door shut without pulling on the handle or attaching aftermarket hardware.  Maybe Hudson offered something similar in 1936?

(Thanks to Gregg Maroney, from whose website I borrowed this photo!)
    36 had a die cast "loop" with a bracket on it that installed under the window garnish molding, through one of it's mounting screws.
  • Thanks, I'll checkout both the 37 cord and 36  0 ring possibilities. Hopefully the reproduction sites for early ford's might have that as an accessory. Cheers ken
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    I like the rope pulls a lot.
    These work as a good sub. 
    Jeff
  • Thanks Jeff for the photo. Found that they are a 1933 Ford inside door pull handle $50 a pair approx new reproduction which l'll mount once received from the USA. Cheers ken