Looking for input on brakes...

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
I am redoing the brakes (among other things!) on my 36T.
I will be upgrading to the 11" Hornet brakes up front and going to redo all the lines as well.
My questions are:
1) What size brake lines should I use? I want to utilize the conifer tubing due to its easy to work with, and corrosion resistance.

2) Which wheel cylinders would be best, my current 1" bore ones, or go to the larger bore Hornet ones?

3) I also plan to install a dual master cylinder. Does it matter which port goes to the front brakes?

Thanks for any input/advice!
Jeff

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    This isn't much help, but several years ago I switched over to larger brakes in my '37 T.  I don't recall (someone did it for me) but I think it was from a Commodore in the 40's.  Just changed the fronts (put in the larger brake drums and backing plates).  I kept the same brake lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder.  With any luck you'll have a more accurate answer from someone else!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I'm doing something similar at the moment but using the Hornet brakes with the Hornet cylinders at both ends. Brake lines are the same size as those on the Hornet, 3/16" I think. The 36 master cylinder is the same bore as the Hornet so I'm using that.

I know little about the ins and outs of dual master cylinders but I guess that as long as both bores are the same size and also match the bore of the Hornet master cylinder it should all work. Use a double master cylinder from a drum/drum car if you go that route, the innards of disc brake master cylinders are a little different.
  • Typically, the outlet with the larger reservoir goes to the front brakes.
  • amc360
    amc360 Senior Contributor
    I changed my 36T to a dual master cylinder from a 69 Mustang drum/ drum.  When you start changing wheel cylinder sizes, it changes the pressure that is applied.  I can not remember the size I used.  I think I ordered 73 AMC Javelin front and rear wheel cylinders.  They bolted up to original backing plates.  Just remember to get a master cylinder with the lines facing the correct way.
  • jjbubaboy
    Thank you all for your info, advice and input!!
    Jeff
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser

They also make this master cylinder now.

• HUDSONBROTHER1

Or you can go this route with this adapter or make your own.

• Totally rebuilt my 36T coupe. I put everything new on the brake system but stayed with the original design. If your not changing the car with a larger motor or newer type front end I have found the original brake setup works fine. I seldom go over 40 mph and have never gone on a long trip. The original brake system has a mechanical back- up set up if the fluid system fails. With new brake shoes and the drums turned down it will stop pretty quick! After all there was millions of miles put on these cars back in the day without too many problems! That being said I guess it would make driving a little nicer and a little safer with a better brake system! Guess it all comes down to what floats your boat! LOL. Hope you enjoy your 36T as much as I enjoy mine!

• jjbubaboy

Thank you for the comments HUDSONBROTHER1, dantheman, and 54coupe much appreciated.

This is still a work in progress. I have a master cylinder and all the parts for the 11" drums now. Just a matter of the time to get it all sorted and installed.

Jeff

• HUDSONBROTHER1

I have a 36 Terriplane 2 door sedan and 36 pickup. I'm going to run disc brakes on the front (I have all of the brackets) as I'm doing on my 41 pick up and 46 Hudson 2 door sedan (this car will have disc brakes on the back too) and my 47 coupe. I have 11" hornet brakes on the front of the 47 coupe now but the car is just too fast for the drum brakes in my opinion. I love the sharing of info to help others out with this hobby and I wish you good luck on your project.