engine change

has anyone put a small block chevy engine in a 52hudson Hollywood wasp is it better to put a chevy front sub frame 52hudsonman

Comments

• I looked into the chev swap before deciding to go with something a lil more different.
    Yip it fits in. heck big ol caddy 500s fit in if you massage a few things.
    I personally would do the front sub as well. get disk brakes and power steering.
    From memory when i looked into chev with original front i was a bit worried about the center point steering being in the way along with bits n bobs.
    Fatmans fab do a front stub with all the holes etc. I was wanting to go with them but the quality dosnt meet NZ cert regs. What ever you swap out to make sure it was designed to handle the weight of the old cars.

Post a build thread man so i can follow it easy ^^

Alex
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited February 2017
    I have seen Dodge Hemi's, Buick Nail Head's, Chevy 6's, Dodge 6's and GM 454's.  There is no limit to what you can do.  Now, with that said my preference is a Hudson 308 (beyond 7X).  Just as dependable as any of the others listed.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

If you can't obtain a Hudson engine for your '52 Hollywood, consider anything else than a small block Chevy.  That engine, though very reliable, seems to be overused in modified cars that it's a bit of a ho-hum, "jeez, not another one of those" powerplants.  I agree with Brownie regarding the 308.

Dan  

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    A Buick turbo V6 w/ intercooler is a nice wow factor if not going Hudson,  My other favorite is a Buick 455 V8 or a 500 Cad, lots and lots of torque
  • Ken I liked the 262 also. Ran cooler than the 308 and although I didn't drag race it there was plenty of power. When I went to Nashville in 99 I went over the applachins without issue. I have family in Va. So I stopped there first. I wasn't always on the freeway but on some back mountain roads. Gas economy was good and ran great. I have used Chev engines and fords. the 5.0 seems to be the best on gas. I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.