12volt conversion...need resistor?

I converted my '49 262 to 12volt, new alt, new Prtronix coil but using stock, 6 volt points. Do I need to add a resistor to not burnout the points?
Thanks

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    On a stock ignition system the points don't care if they have 6V or 12V passing through them. The condenser is what stops (well, greatly slows down) the points from pitting and burning.
  • How do I know what condenser to use?
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Condenser characteristics should be matched to coil spec's.  Ask Pertronix what condenser to use.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Condenser characteristics should be matched to coil spec's.  Ask Pertronix what condenser to use.  And also what about a ballast resistor.

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Why are you using a Pertronix coil with points?  It would have been a whole lot cheaper to get the IC-12 coil from NAPA.  At least you wouldn't have to worry about needing a resistor or burning up your points.  
  • I bought the Pertronix coil to go along with my Pertronix ignitor...that has failed and been sent back. I don't have a stock coil because I converted to 12volts during this process.
  • I recently converted my 52 hudson wasp to 12 volt and have a 12 volt coil and condenser and points, on the coil tho if you read your coil it will say external or internal resistor, my coil was getting pretty hot with out the ballis resistor because it needed a external one, it was getting the same amperage as the alternator on the one side of the coil, put the resistor in and it's perfect now
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The first Pertronix coil I bought with my Ignitor II overheated and failed also.  They sent me a new one and it worked well for a long time.  The jury is still out on the Pertronix ignition system as far as I'm concerned since I was thinking that if I don't ever have to change points again, that the Pertronix would last indefinitely.  Now I find out that the magnet in the green circle can become dislodged and/or the green tape can unravel.  I'm going to give it one more try, especially since I've invested quite a bit of money in the Pertronix ignitor & coil, but if it fails again, I'm done....

• Jason, the ignitor electronic ignition unit that I installed was 2563LS. It is a LobeSensing design and as so, does not have a magnetic ring.
    Don't know why my unit failed, but when I receive the replacement, I'll try electronic ignition again.
    This is the third car I've installed Pertronix on, the first failure of the three.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I thought the 1362 was the only Ignitor that was compatible for six cylinder Hudsons.  How did you come to use the 2563LS?  Is that what you used in your previous installations?  
  • No, that was what Pertronix recommended. Wait til I install the new one and I will tell you how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.