Newbie checking in

[Deleted User]
edited January 2015 in Street Rods
HI all,
My name is Lisa and I have recently bought a 1953 Hudson Hornet sedan that has a 350 Chev motor in it.
I will be taking on an across country tour from Oregon to Chicago and then to LA via Route 66 in May this year and am really looking forward to that.
I have been wanting a Hudson for a few years now and am looking forward to finding out more information here. At the moment my Hudson is at the mechanics getting all the brakes redone as it had none when I got it (making for a rather scary first drive after it rolled off the transporter!) and I'd like to put disc brakes on at some stage as I will be using it to tow a vintage trailer.
I pick it up tomorrow and can't wait!
Cheers,
Lisa

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2015

Hi Lisa - Welcome aboard! 

I saw your email address, and visited your website!  Very nice.  For those members that want to take a look, here it is: http://vintagecaravanmagazine.com.au/

Good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here.

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

Here is a thread on disc brakes -

http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/162079/hudson-disk-brake-kits-once-again-available#latest

And, you can find at least one 'kit' being offered by a vendor on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-57-Hudson-Complete-Bolt-On-Front-Disc-Brake-Kit-/171272759843?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e0a6ea23&vxp=mtr

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Hi Lisa!  Welcome aboard and congratulations on your recent purchase.  Please post pics when you get a chance.  We all love pictures.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Open Forum, Lisa!  Sounds like a real adventure ahead of you, and you're wise to have that mechanic scramble all over your car to check it out, before you depart.

Personally, I think the previous owner should have stuck with the Hudson engine (which by 1953 was a modern powerplant that helped propel Hudson to a 3-year string of NASCAR championships in the early 50's).  The Chevy engine will certainly be easy to find parts for, during your trip, but at some future point you may want to look into replacing it with the original engine (possibly a 308 with Twin-H Power dual carbs). 

You'll find that original parts (and repro parts) for your Hudson are a whole lot easier to find within the Hudson "network" and if you haven't joined the H-E-T Club yet, you should give that some thought.  Especially since there is a special network of people (among the membership) whose members are willing to lend a hand to stranded Hudson drivers who may need help, while passing through their area ("Tourist Emergency Help" network).

Don't hesitate to bring your technical questions here, as many times as you like.  And, even if you're not yet a member of the H-E-T, you can register to use the Club's website http://www.hetclub.org/ for free, and get certain "limited" privileges there (once you are a Club member you get full privileges).  There are several resources available there, especially downloadable owners and repair manuals and sales catalogs.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If you need a "on board" mechanic let me know, I'm available...Regardless... have a good time!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Hey, I'm rebuilding a Hornet motor..and it doesn't have a home yet.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Welcome aboard Lisa.  Great people here.  I envy you your Rt. 66 trip. I did it once myself - back in 1953!!  I have, in my collection of stuff, a Route 66 Traveler's Guide and Roadside Companion, 2nd edition by Tom Snyder from 1995 and a set of 8 Route 66 fold-out maps that will make your Rt 66 trip more enjoyable.
    Drop me an email at xxxhudsontech09@yahoo.com (drop the xxx) and we'll make arrangements to get this material to you.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Welcome, Once your brakes are repaired you may be pleased with the stopping ability. Hudson does have a reserve secondary brake feature that if you lose your fluid the pedal drops part way down then activates the Emergency rear brakes to stop you provided they are free & adjusted correctly. The pedal drop suddenly is a little scary but it does activates the secondary before the pedal gets to the floor. I ve driven miles with only the secondary system...Of course todays Dual Cylinders and Disc are the Ultimate, but give yoour regular brakes another chance.and enjoy your neew purchase. There are a number of people that can field any question you may have free...We like to see more Hudson on the Highway..
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    As Ol racer says, the secondary brake system works. Works very well. When I bought my Hornet in Las Vegas the secondary system worked so well I didn't know the master cylinder was dry when I drove over 200 miles on my way home near Los Angles before checking the master cylinder.

It wasn't so smart not checking the master cylinder before the trip but it sold me on the secondary system. At the time I bought the Hornet I didn't know Hudson had a secondary brake system so I assumed the brakes were working fine. Since the pedal was low I thought it just needed the brakes adjusted.

If you have ever been to Vegas you know traffic is bumper to bumper between Vegas and Los Angles and steep mountain grades.

So take Ol racers advice and have the secondary system checked and adjusted properly.

Lee O'Dell
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Welcome, Lisa. Since you're Hudson is modified at this time you may wish to also join the Modified group who lean your way. There is also a Hudson subforum entitled Modified. A wealth of info awaits! If you join the club you'll get a roster with member's contact info, so, if stuck on the road we can help.
    Hudsonly,
    Dave Carpenter
This discussion has been closed.