1936 vs 1937 terraplane frame?

[Deleted User]
edited April 2014 in Street Rods
Ok What frames, if any, are the same? Have coupe rear clip and the delivery off e bay a couple months ago. No frames, bought 37 2dr sedan for parts Hoping frames would be close if not same. Now I bought 2dr sedan with doors, fenders (front and rears), running boards, hood, grill, deck lid, body had tree fall on it. So I can build a frame but, only frame I have is 37 so what is difference 2dr vs 4dr on frame length? models 61? what models use same frame? anybody have all frame spec's? 37 motor same as 36? Ford made so many parts that would interchange. Did Hudson have any? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The two-door and four door use the same frame for '37, but the '36 frames were entirely different.  The front and rear engine mounts are the same positions, but the '37 bodies were much wider, and the frame much beefed up from the '36.   
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The '37 engine is significantly different from the '36.  They look the same, but the '37 has larger intake and exhaust ports and manifolds, so better performance with the '37.  The manifolds are not interchangeable.  Engine mounts are the same, so either engine will fit either year car.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, I'm sure that the '36 frame doesn't interchange with the '37.  Two different cars.  Pretty much all the sheet metal doesn't interchange, either.  As Geoff suggests, different bodies in the SAME YEAR may share frames (though you would need to check this via parts numbers) EXCEPT where you are mixing a long wheelbase and a short wheelbase car.  Such as a '36 Terraplane versus a '36 long wheelbase Hudson.  

Hudson, like Ford, made many parts that would interchange -- over many model years in some cases.  But the transition from 1936 to 1937 in Hudson (Terraplane) was not unlike the change from 1948 to 1949 in Ford.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited April 2014
    I had a couple of Hollanders Interchange manuals I was thinking of scanning for the online library, but I decided it wasn't worth the effort.  There are so few parts that interchange between Hudson and brand-x cars.
    On manual I do have in the library is a 1950 Hudson Numerical Parts Interchange manual that covers 1927 to 1950.  This is invaluable, IMNO, for finding out what fits what.  It's filed under Other H-E-T Literature at the top of the page.
    (The library may be accessed via the link posted below.)

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN

• So far I have found that he tread 56" front and 57 1/2" rear is same 36 to 37 Overall length bumper to bumper terraplane sedan 195 coupes and convertibles are 200 1/4 Hudson's 6 199 5/8 and 204 7/8 Hudson 8 199 5/8 and 204 7/8 and Hudson 8 sedan only has a 206 5/8" With wheel bases of terraplane 115" Hudson 6 120" Hudson 8 120" and Hudson sedan 127" the 37 is 117" wheel base for all model terraplane. but very interesting is frame thickness on 36 varies from 3/32" to 1/8" to 9/64" with widths of rails varying from 1 3/4" to 1 25/32" to 1 51/64" depth 6 3/4" terraplane to 7" Hudson. Since 36 Terraplanes are what I have or am building (yes I will use some of the 37 parts.) and nothing has been said about running board lengths and front Fenders are same sedan vrs coupe going to assume that the difference of 5 1/4 inch overall length in between wheel could be longer door? or from door post back, DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF DOORS ARE SAME COUPE AND 2DR SEADN OR 4DR? sorry for caps but makes the question stand out. Oh thinking back on statement I just made if fenders are same and wheel base is longer running boards have to be short or long.
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    The doors are not the same also I sent you a pm.
This discussion has been closed.