36 Terraplane wiper motor

amc360
amc360 Senior Contributor
edited October 2013 in Street Rods
Is there a good electric wiper motor that will bolt up to a 36 Terraplane to replace the vacume motor? Doing modifications or making brackets is no problem. Will one of the electric replacement motors they sell for Fords work?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited October 2013
    Ive used the $40 Wiper Mtr from JC Whitney in my '37 & '47 by altering the stock Brkt with a pc of 3/4 angle across for mounts then shortened & theaded the shaft to accept the Hudson Arm that runs L & R. I wire in an intermittent Switch too. They work good & operate at medium Spd but sometimes need toggle to park, but for $40 dont mind. It was pretty simple conversion and posted pictures on the old Forum and might still have a pic...
  • On my 34 Plymouth I cut a 12 X 24 piece of 1/8 strap drilled a hole for wiper motor to bolt up too with arm off motor threw hole use a late model wiper linkage cut to 4 inches attached to a e brake cable mounted in trunk ran cable up to headliner and attached to original wiper linkage used a spring to pull cable one direction for park position and cable pulled the linkage from trunk area, From outside looked like original wipers and arms but had High Low and Intermittent motor in trunk
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The Whitney wiper motor works on 6-volt positive ground, then?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited March 2014
    Jon,
     I have 12 Volt in my '37's , but I assume the 6V Whitney Motor would work on Pos Grd since most 6Volts were wired that way. However, I would call their Tech Dept to check Polarity. The Motor is out of sight and an EZ update if your at all handy. The Motors have gone up in price sincemy initial Posting.... Ironically, I read somewhere over the past few Yrs that some European Hudson's had an Electric Wiper motor in the Thirties.....
  • Richard E.
    Richard E. Senior Contributor
    I believe that Railton's had electric wipers and I also believe that they were 6v positive ground.  Maybe we should check with the Railton Club.  However I also think that they are mounted at the top of the "windscreen."  Any of you Railton guys can jump in here and clear this up for us??
This discussion has been closed.