What rad to use for a 36 Terraplane

amc360
amc360 Senior Contributor
edited May 2012 in Street Rods
I am building a 36 Terraplane with a Ford Flathead for power, I can not modify and use the original rad because the bottom tank is to small to install a second outlet for the dual water pumps. Has anyone uses an after market rad that fits fairly decent? It does not have to be made for a flathead, I can modify it if it is set up for say a Chevy. The closest to the original dimentions that I could find was an alluminum by Griffin for a 31 Ford at around $600 - $700.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    I put an model Stock Car Aluminum cross flow radiator in my '37 Terraplane with only slight altering. I had one outlet changed and fill using a small remote tank up above on a 329" Hornet Motor.
    Those radiators are readily available at most swap meets new & used in many sizes $75 - $200.
    PS; I can think of many better motors to install other than a flathead v8...
  • amc360
    amc360 Senior Contributor
    Thank's for the info. I love the look of a flathead and for this project I was not thinking horse power, just enough to cruz with.
  • I am considering putting a 308 hornet in my 1937 utility coupe that has a 117 inch wheelbase . I think it will fit if I move the radiator forward with a custom unit. I'll keep the trans. in the inthe same location. Not sure what trans i'll use  What advise do you have.? Thanks , Karl 860 460 9606 karlmystic@aol.com
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2015
    FYI
    I installed a Hornet 6 coupled to a GM Turbo 350 trans In my Terraplane Cpe.... I had to trim the left & right diagonal pcs of frame under the radiator then I reinforced back the area by fish plating. I slid the radiator forward inside the original brackets. (The Rad brkt's hold the hood side latches). Later, it needed a larger radiator so I removed the hood 'Sides and installed an Aluminum Radiator. You will need a Pusfer Fan.The firewall has to be notched slightly up high near the dyl head & block.(See Black Area of firewall) I cuit the rivets on the crossmember to move it back for the GM Trans mnt. It was not a difficult install.The Floor board needs bent upward slightly and the floor near the X has to be trimmed up some.The Tubo 350 fits into X  nicely but dont think a Turbo 40o would.The early Clifford Headers fit nicely inside & outside of the Frame Rails.
  • Thank you for info on 308 engine swap. I also have a never used Clifford header ment for a step down. I thought I'd stay with a manual trans. I thought I read where someone  found a Jeep floor shifter could be bolted to the top of a 2 lever Hudson trans. Any help here?
  • Ol racer
    edited February 2016
    FYI
    Yes, Ive also heard that it will fit by people in our Chapter that actually did it in the past. All mine are Automatic so cant help, but it must have been from a late 40's Cj Jeep like the Military had.
    I would slide a Hornet back onto the existing Trans Mount cross member but use the Hornet Trans and find a vintage 3spd floor shift conversion. Ive seen them on Ebay occassionally, or install a later column shift steering column
This discussion has been closed.