Martz Roadster 1939 Hudson Convertible Brougham

Browniepetersen
Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
This is the 118 wheel base Series 92 as featured in the 1952 Motor Trend and today I got started. Because someone chopped up the frame to fit a Chevy v8 I have decided that I will need a new frame. I also want power disc brakes all around, power steering and possibly air conditioning so I picked up a Chevrolet S10 long wheel base and disassembled it. All I have in place now is the frame, front end and wheels to help in moving it around. I am going to clean up the frame and paint it and then start fitting some body parts to determine where to mount the engine. I also expect to section the frame in the center area and drop it eight to ten inches. Photos will start showing up on this post in a few weeks...

Comments

• essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    bring it on Brownie, looking forward to this 1

Mike
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Can't wait! Lots of pictures, please.:)
  • Browniepetersen
    edited May 2011
    Because of the rain I have not been able to get to sand blasting the frame so here are a few photo's of the frame ready for blasting. I will leave the wheels on to make it easy to move. I am trying to convince myself to paint the frame the yellow of the wheels (the car will be red and black with tan interior). Will most likely go satin black when I get around to the frame paint...

I did dryfit one of the new spoke wheels. The center cap will have a red diamond when complete. For those of you that are my age you might remember these. The company started in the early 50's and sold out to Crager in the late 50's. American Racing now owns Crager.

• Browniepetersen
    I have mixed feelings when I announce that I have sold my Martz Roadster. The good news is that it goes to a very dedicated Hudson driver and we will soon, well reasonably soon see it on the road again....
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI ALL YES BROWNIE SOLD HIS Martz Roadster AND TO ME WHAT WAS I THINKING WELL I NEED A PROJECT I'M TRYING TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO HAVE IT BROUGHT BACK EAST
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    HI ALL YES BROWNIE SOLD HIS Martz Roadster AND TO ME WHAT WAS I THINKING WELL I NEED A PROJECT I'M TRYING TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO HAVE IT BROUGHT BACK EAST

Just what Dave and the Pitsburg gang need - another Schuster project!!!! LOL ROFL

But we know, from experience, that this car will soon be shining in all it's resplendent glory - you guys up there in P'burg do know how to restore cars.

Good luck and we anxiously await pictures as the build progresses.

Small Paul, you're to much.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    looking forward just as much as if Brownie was doing it
    post lots of pics on the build

Mike
  • PAULARGETYPE
    THANKS ALEX DAD'S NOT A CUSTOM CAR GUY BUT HE'S ON BOARD IT'S A OLD CUSTOM SO IT'S OK WE ARE SAVING SOME HUDSON HISTORY
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Paul,
    Im certain the 'Martz Roadster' will be great when completed since everything ive seen built by you guys in Pittsburgh is better than the Factory ever produced....

Regarding Transporting, There is a Person that checks into this Forum periodically looking for 'hauls'. Dont remember name tonite, but titled 'checking in from the Road'
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Ol racer wrote:
    Paul,
    Im certain the 'Martz Roadster' will be great when completed since everything ive seen built by you guys in Pittsburgh is better than the Factory ever produced....

Regarding Transporting, There is a Person that checks into this Forum periodically looking for 'hauls'. Dont remember name tonite, but titled 'checking in from the Road'

See http://classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=117999&Itemid=152
  • PAULARGETYPE
    THE CAR IS ON THE ROAD BROWNIE EMAILED ME THE CAR LEFT YESTERDAY HERE IS THE CAR ON THE TRAILOR I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
  • bent metal
    I'm excited and it's not even my car! haha.:)

Keep the pictures coming. I'm looking forward to the build. By the way Paul, that is the small wheel opening as we talked about earlier.
  • hudsontech
    On it's way!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

I'm not sure - I think I'd rather have the truck on the top deck - sure be easier to restore for certain. LOL

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited June 2011
    HI ALL WELL IT'S HERE AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE PHOTOS WE HAD A LOCAL COP PLAYING BARRNEY FIFE GIVING THE DRIVER A HARD TIME WHAT A MESS BUT NO TICKETS AND WE ALL WENT AWAY SMILING HERE ARE A FEW PHOTOS OF THE UNLOAD AND WITH IT IN THE SHOP UNPACKING ALL OF THE GOODIES WILL WAIT TILL THE AM.. I CAN'T WAIT BUT WE ARE ALL TIRED SO MORNING IT WILL BE I HAVE TO SAY A BIG THANKS TO BROWNIE EVERY THING HE RESTORED IS BETTER THAN GREAT I'M ALL PUMPED UP MY NOT BEABLE TO SLEEP LOL ZZZZZZZZ
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Paul,

Im happy that you obtained the rare Hudson within our Chapter and will be looking forward to progress pictures along the way......
  • Browniepetersen
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. Glad everything made it OK. by the way, the "thing" on top of the center dash was a wind up Oldsmobile clock. The face and clock works came with the clock but it was all shot. Just did not want you to wonder what it was... Have fun unpacking.... Just like Christmas in June.
  • hudsontech
    As Brownie said - doesn't have to be Dec. 25th for Christmas. :woohoo: Paul's running around like a kid with a new toy.:lol:

Thanks for the explanation of the gizmo on the dash, Brownie - I was wondering what it was.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • PAULARGETYPE
    :cheer: :) :P :silly: :kiss::kiss: CHRISTMAS IN JUNE AHHH YES SANTA WAS VERY GOOD TO ME!!!!! LOTS TO UNPACK MORE PHOTOS TO COME !!!WOOPEEE!!!!!!:woohoo: :whistle: :silly: :lol: :cheer: :kiss:
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    the "thing" on top of the center dash was a wind up Oldsmobile clock.

I saw it, and thought "What a strange place to put a tail light from an Allis Chalmers WD tractor!" Well, I do recall it came from ranch country, so who knows. . .

Saw one of those tail lights on an AC in a wrecking yard, decided it would look good on the back of my Minneapolis Moline. Apparently someone else had similar tastes, because when I went back, it was gone. :(
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited June 2011
    HI ALL WELL IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG BEFORE THE SON GRAND SONS AND GRAND DAUGHTER SHOW UP THIS AM ALL READY TO WORK WELL WE HAD A GREAT DAY HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OFF TO BED I'M TIREd!!!!!
  • hudsontech
    Looking at that front fender it is amazing what can be accomplished in such a short time!!!!!!!!!

Way to go, Paul - you'll have that one ready to join Dave's panel truck in Gettysburg next year, no problem.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • I'll just jump in and say thanks! You guys cleared up some questions!!! :lol:

Professional Car Cleaning
  • Browniepetersen
    This showed up in my mail today: Now we know what happened to it.

Brownie,

I recently saw your ad in the White Triangle News concerning the customized 1939 Hudson.

In 1952 when the article came out in the January edition of Motor Trend Magazine, my dad and a couple of his friends here in Washington, IN decided to try to build one. They started with a 1940 Hudson and over a couple of years completed the car. My dad sold the car in the mid 1960's and although it changed hands a couple of times since then, it stayed here in Washington. One of the owners kept it stored and did not drive it much for quite a few years. I lived away from Washington from the early 1960's until returning after I retired in the mid 1990's.

In 2002 I purchased the car and set about to restore it to its original condition. I had to have quite a bit of body work done, some mechanical work and the seats and upholstery replaced. I am still driving the car and it gets a lot of attention when people see it. I have attached a picture of the car.

I had always assumed that my dad's car and the one featured in the Motor Trend magazine were the only two ever built. I was surprised when your ad mentioned that there were others. You mentioned Barris Custom Martz. Was this someone who built several cars using the design of Charles Martz? I would appreciate any information you could provide concerning these unique automobiles.

Jim Fields
    (812) 257-0182
    wjfields@avenuebroadband.com
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    hey PAULARGETYPE, any more photos of your progress on the roadster?
  • bent metal
    edited June 2011
    That yellow car there looks real nice!

Hey Paul, did you notice it's got the large wheel opening? Also, can't tell for sure but it looks like there is no hump on the back.

Brownie, do you have any pictures that show the rear of the yellow one? I would like to see how they did the back end.:)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    hows this bent metal COOL I'D SAY
  • hudsontech
    LARGETYPE - you and Dave are going to take the Gettysburg Nat by storm. You should have the roadster done by then, the way you're going. And Dave will definitely have the panel truck done for sure.

You two should be competeing for the Albright award - that should be interesting. :woohoo:

Keep up the good work guys.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
    Memphis, TN
  • bent metal
    Paul, as you mentioned before, I'm thinking rumble seat too.:)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited June 2011
    YEA 3 ROW SETING FUN WAY TO ENJOY A CAR I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT HOW TO GET DOORS BACK IN PLACE THE OLD ONES WERE ALL BUTCHERD UP FROM WHEN THE CAR WAS DONE IN 52 I'VE BEEN THINKING HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING DOORS TO DO THE JOB WITH OUT CUTTING UP GOOD 37 TO 40 DOORS THEN I LOOKED OUT IN MY DRIVE WAY THE LIGHT WENT ON I'M GOING TO USE THE DOORS OFF OF THE 57 SEDAN PARTS CAR IN THE DRIVEWAY THERE SOLID AND I HAVE OTHERS IF SOME ONE NEEDS SOME PROBLEM SOLVED NOW TO GET AROUND TO DOING IT SUICIDE WITH BEAR CLAW LATCHES REMOTE OF COURSE I'M REALLY HAVING FUN :) :woohoo: :) :woohoo:
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited June 2011
    NEW PHOTOS A LOT OF CLEAN UP ON THE OUTTER BODY AND SOME FRAME WORK ON THE RIGHT SIDE INNER FENDER REAR THE REAR IS WHERE ALL THE BAD ROT IS "I STARTED ON THE GOOD SIDE" LOL GOT SOME GOOD MEASUREMENTS. BENT MEDAL CAN YOU MOVE TO WESTERN PA. FOR ABOUT A MONTH LOL

""SCHILLAZ""

YOU ASK I DELIVER
This discussion has been closed.