Clifford Performance

esfoder
esfoder Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in Street Rods
What happened to the Clifford site? Just clicked on it and all the Hudson stuff is gone? Is that the end of the line or what?

Dusty

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Last time I checked with them, they were still making heads and headers, but that was about it. With the high prices on those items (especially the head), I'm sure their sales were very limited (like non-existent). I think that ever since Jack died, the passion just hasn't been there. Just my humble opinion.
  • The last time I spoke with Jacks son, he was placing supplier orders based on demand. To complicate the Hudson parts offering , Hudson header vendor was not providing products which met requirements.

Couple this with the uncertainty of the economy, small population of Hudson buyers, It does not surprise me these products are now no longer available.

Maybe one of our California posters can stop by Cliffords shop to get the real story first hand?
  • Too bad if we've lost them, they have some quality over the years from what I've been told. Even my father used to speak of their 6=8 parts for the chevy sixes and the quality of those parts. Hope somehow they can still get them, even if the cost is a bit higher due to low demand, you'd hate to lose a supplier forever.
  • esfoder
    esfoder Expert Adviser
    I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if the Hudson parts are still avaliable.

Dusty
  • esfoder
    esfoder Expert Adviser
    I called Clifford and talked to Larry. The Hudson parts are still avaliable. He has a limited supply in stock but everything is still good to go. He even has some of the Webber side draft carb intakes in stock.

I was already there so I purchased a head from him should be here soon.

I got the impression that he is a good guy and running a business the best way he can. Limited inventory for everyone is here to stay for awhile. Can't stock what does not move. He also said that the headers are avaliable just needs some orders to get the ball rollin.. He is a nitch vender and should be givin alittle time on orders I would think. The internet has spoiled us all in that department.

As far as his bad rap in my eyes is much undeserved he talked to me for 20 min on the phone and was very helpfull in alot of ways.

Dusty

P.S. He also made mention of casting an alumunim twin h with 2 bbl carb pads on it like his single 4 bbl intake. I told him I'm in line for that one for sure.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    fyi

An Aluminum Twin H with 2BBls would really be great.

Twin H has ideal runners so I converted one to dual Pontiac 2BBL's. Only drawback its real heavy.....
  • leave it to you Ol racer, you're definately a craftsman in the 'Hudson Nation' ! ! ! wish we were closer in distance, I'd really like to follow you around & pick up your crafty habits ! ! glad to see you're still havin' some fun with a hobby you've obviously had for a good portion of your life ! What you got for 'in the works' projects these days ?

'47HUD minnesota
  • How about a couple more pics of the two two barrels/manifolds as previously shown? Thanks, bob
  • Ol racer
    FYI

I post things occassionally in hope someone else may persure the idea. Ive put a Torino dual master cyl in a '37 & '47 ehile retaining the complete original emergency system, reasonable electric wipers, etc using just basic hand tools. Attached are couple more pictures of the intake. I took a pic before removing the NOS Lines. I thought about NOS in each runner- notice the plugs and these Carbs are too large for Streeet use.. I posted the simple process in 2008.

Working on a Stepdown Drag Car that has been totally gutted to lighten wityh all the trick stuff I could install except fortotal Electronics,

Had internal crack problem requiring building another block losing a whole Yr due to one delay after another. Hopeful to hit the Strip this Fall.
  • WOW, thanks for the pics, and info, lets see the car now. Thanks, Bob
  • Snailslayer
    Snailslayer Expert Adviser
    I just spoke with Larry At clifford today, and he was saying his next project is a 2 x 2 bbl manifold for the 308! he has/ is working on a similiar setup for the chevy and mopar guys too. now I just need need a hornet to put it on!
  • is there any other supplier for hudson 262 headers out there or is Cliffords the the only one? J.R.
  • Not aware of any, but if you want more power and a cheaper price than headers, consider a Dual Outlet Exhaust Manifold Adapter. Email me if you want to know more hetpbebop@gmail.com (drop the het) We will be at Pigeon Forge, TN Thur, Fri, and Sat next week for the HET meet, the Adapters will be there. Bob P.
  • Just how much differance does the adapter and duel exaust make?
    Roger
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    is there any other supplier for hudson 262 headers out there or is Cliffords the the only one? J.R.

There is someone in the club that makes a beautiful set of headers for Hudsons that fit the 262 and 308. I saw them on a couple of cars and talked to him at a Hudson meet. I can't find the information with his name and phone number. I seem to remember there was some mention about him and his headers on the forum a few years ago. Someone on the forum may have that information or can locate what thread it is on. Now that I have a Hornet I'd be interested in his name and phone number. His header quality is impressive to look at.

Lee O'Dell
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Yes, from time to time there has been several individuals, or so I have heard that usually does a small run of headers for the Hudson 6. Probably the guy Lee mentioned is the most prolific, other than Clifford.

Adding headers to a 308, from what I understand is the cheapest horsepower/dollar you can add. Most Hudson gurus have stated a gain of 20hp simply by adding headers. If you are looking for a little more power and the cheapest out of pocket expense, go with headers and dual exhaust.

As far as the adapter that bolts to the bottom of the manifold and splits the exhaust to two pipes, I'm going to garner a guess and say that you might increase hp by 5-10hp at the most. The initial back-pressure from the exhaust manifold is still prevalent. Dual pipes WILL make it breathe better, however, at least somewhat, but nothing compared to what headers will do for you. However, the split adapter is cheaper than headers, and the sweet sound you get from the dual pipes is irrefutable.
  • Richie(a forum guy in Georgia)made a utube video about his installation of a Dual Outlet Exhaust Manifold Adapter. The video can be accessed by putting this address in your web address line. Sounds good(as Russell said). No cost to listen. I visited his shop two weeks ago and listened. Thanks, Bob P

Hudson Richie's utube video 04 2010
    Try putting this address on the web address line to call up the UTube site.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bY46R9J52Q
    The guy's name is Richie, he really likes it. Thanks, Bob P.
  • Ol racer
    edited October 2010
    FYI

That was nice of you to post a Video for others to hear the sound of Hudson 'dual exhaust' which sound great......
    Incidently the Car looks Great too...
  • Richie painted the car in his garage by researching how to do it on the internet. Looks great. He works hard on his cars, does all his own work. Bob P
  • Richie
    Richie Senior Contributor
    Ol racer wrote:
    FYI

That was nice of you to post a Video for others to hear the sound of Hudson 'dual exhaust' which sound great......

Incidently the Car looks Great too...
    Thanks Ol racer, I appreciate your kind words. The exhaust really does sound pretty good driving at speed, just a mellow tone, not too loud. I'm happy. Richie.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Looks very nice, sounds very nice!:)
  • Richie
    bent metal wrote:

Thanks bent metal. Richie
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Richie wrote:
    bent metal wrote:

What muffler did you run with the dual system?
  • Richie
    Kdancy wrote:
    Richie wrote:
    bent metal wrote:

It is a Patriot Smithy Muffler from Summit Racing, around $40 if I remember correctly.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Richie,

Did you run duals the entire way back? Sounds sweet. What size pipes did you end up using?
    Richie wrote:
    Kdancy wrote:
    Richie wrote:
    bent metal wrote:

It is a Patriot Smithy Muffler from Summit Racing, around $40 if I remember correctly.
  • Richie
    hudsonguy wrote:
    Richie,

Did you run duals the entire way back? Sounds sweet. What size pipes did you end up using?
    Hudsonguy, sorry about taking so long to answer but I haven't been back for a while. I ran two pipes from the adpt into a "Y" and a 3" pipe back to a muffler and over the rear axle. Just after the axle it splits into two pipes and comes out on both sides. There is an improvement performance, I'm very happy with it. Richie.
    Richie wrote:
    Kdancy wrote:
    Richie wrote:
    bent metal wrote:

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited November 2016
    Does anyone know if Larry at Clifford ever got the 2x2 308 manifold off the ground?  I have never seen one.  The only one I ever saw and I owned 2 of them was the Edmunds 2 x 2.  I do have one of the 3 x 2 side draft manifold NIB, guess those will not be made any longer.
  • A 3 x 2 side draft?? Can you share any pictures?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited November 2016
    photo IMG_3748_zpsingtqzxd.jpg" />imagephoto IMG_3749_zpsejopdq1e.jpg" />photo IMG_3744_zps9nm7hnfm.jpg" />
    Here you go!

The first one is a NIB 2 X 1 Edmunds manifold that will go on ebay next year.  I have had the Edmunds for a long time and it is a beautiful piece but I am not sure I will ever use it.  The second and third one is the 3 x 2 sidedraft Clifford manifold

• wow, very cool....what carbs does the side draft use? Webber's?

I'd be interested in that Edmunds intake if you have a price in mind. ; )  

This discussion has been closed.