28 Essex Starter Crank

blaine
blaine Member
edited October 2016 in HUDSON
I need to crank the engine to set the timing. Since I don't have a starter crank, can I use a 39mm socket? Or do you recommend something else?

Comments

• blaine
    blaine Member
    I mentioned a 39mm socket because the starting crank jaw wrench used for removing the starting crank jaw is 1 17/32", which is about 39mm. Not sure if that tool will also work for cranking the engine.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If you can fit the socket in, go for it!  Use an extionson and handle to go through the hole in the apron.  
  • blaine
    blaine Member
    I was having trouble getting the socket into the tight space. But I was able to get it on after loosening the metal shield. The socket seems a bit loose. I wanted to make sure it actually turns the engine and not loosens the starting crank jaw before giving it a try. As always, thanks Geoff!
  • blaine
    blaine Member
    edited July 2016
    I found a 39 mm socket made for bikes on eBay that fits nicely into the small area in case anyone else is looking.
  • Hey Blaine, I have two starter cranks available. I got them in an auction box that had other items I wanted at Bill Jennings auction. I am not sure whether they go to an Essex or not, or what year they are. I have them pictured. I am not sure if they will fit your needs, but they may be a good fit.
  • I know Bill had a lot of Essex/Hudson/Terraplane parts. I just wish I knew what car they go to.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Any chance of posting a picture with basic measurements?    Can't see full image with what is there now.

Thanks!
    "Ric"
  • Is this size correct for my 1928 Hudson too? I need to turn over the engine somehow, either socket wrench or crank.
  • A 39mm socket with an extension will work.  I ordered one off Amazon that works well.  Here's a link: http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/comment/214525#Comment_214525
This discussion has been closed.