Trying to identify these cars and their era

Unknown
edited November -1 in American Motors
Hello Citizens of USA and fellow motoring enthusiasts :)

I was hoping to find out the makes of these cars in the attached photo. Soory for the quality of the photo its the only one I have and its the daphnia collection in the foreground that I am trying to put a year/era to.

The photo is from a later edition of a book published in 1966, the original edition was published in 1930's. I am not aware if the photo was in the original edition of the book?

The author was W. Innes from Philadelphia, I assume thats in the region where the photo was taken.

Any identification on these motors would be very much appreciated, that would lead to an approximate year of the photo

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• Year would be about 1928 to 1931, makes of cars would be pretty much of a quess . If you could get just the cars more clearly the guys on this forum do know their cars.Try to seperate the cars individually.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Irelander, I agree with the '28 to '31 guess. However, you might want to post this photo out in the General Topic Area. "American Motors" is the section for products produced by the American Motors Corporation, and as such would have many fewer visitors than the General Topic area of this forum site.
  • Jon ,I seldom if ever dissagree with you, THE HUDSON LINK is the place to go. more veiwers and more interested in just about any old car rather than a specific make, even tho we love our Huds the most.and more ready to share their knowledge. Also these are a mixture of cars, which also says go where the broadest interest is and the most veiwers and that is the best bunch on here, THE HUDSON BOYS
  • Somehow the cars in the pic look like British makes to me.
  • The second from the left could well be a 1932 FRANKLIN model 145, Compare to this one, Ebay item # 260166501948
  • Ok thank you all for the replies.

So is the Franklin 145 the definitive answer? If I can at least get one positive ID on either of the black motors that would be sufficient.

I will move this to the Hudson forum as suggested
  • I'm sorry but that is not a POSITIVE I.D. If you veiwed the ebay item you will see that it is a very good likeness of what little you can see in the pic and at this time would be my guess as to what it is, mind you just a quess.
  • 37 Terraplane#2 wrote:
    I'm sorry but that is not a POSITIVE I.D. If you veiwed the ebay item you will see that it is a very good likeness of what little you can see in the pic and at this time would be my guess as to what it is, mind you just a quess.

Yes I will give you that one.... well done sir!

Franklin 145 Sedan it is then..... for the car 2nd from the left in the pic.

According to the ebay site its very rare

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F260166501948_W0QQfromZR41QQfviZ1&item=260166501948

looking at the white walled tyres and lights mounted on the wheel front arches.........it has to be the same one.

Any ideas about the other dark car Ford model B perhaps???
  • Second thoughts on this,1933 is when they slanted the grill a bit, it could be a 32 Ford, Would'nt say it was not at this time
This discussion has been closed.