Auto trans needed for 1966 Rogue

faustmb
faustmb Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in American Motors
My friend just bought a 66 Rogue with a 232 to make a daily driver. The automatic trans is shot, so he is looking for a working used one to install. The previous owner said it would go reverse only, and fluid pours out the bell housing area if you fill it.

Anybody have one for sale? Any information on interchangable years would be helpful also.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Comments

• Hi, You didn't say where the car is located. Our local "part's yard" has four or five in the "safe section". two of the cars could be runners, with some minor work. He needs $400 or $500 for a transmission. And you would have to add transportation to the price. It would almost be cheaper to have the exsiting one rebuilt. Also, you didn't say whether your Rouge was a 01 series(American) or a 10 series(Classic) If I can help any further, please E-Mail me. Thanks, Steve
  • Hi, Steve here again. For what its worth, I found today a REBUILT 4 speed manuel transmission. It came from a 10 series (Classic Series) sedan with a 258 cu. in engine. If my memory is correct, that's the same block as your 232 block, and should bolt right up. Also, as an aside, they used that engine right up to the end od the Jeep Cherrokee, with a redesigned head, to accept the fuel injection. It's a 7 main bearing engine. The 4 speed makes it a real fun car to drive. If I can help more, please let me know. Steve
  • faustmb
    Steve,

The car is in central FL. It is an American body style, according to the badges. Do you know what it would take to put a later model 4 speed from a Jeep in it?

I had an 1984 AMC Eagle sport with a 258 and a five speed, that car was really fun to drive.

Thanks for the Info,

Matt
  • faustmb
    A local reputable shop quoted $800 to rebuild the trans, seems pretty steep. Anyone know of a used one?

Matt
  • Hi, I just had the tranny on my 2000 Caravan rebuilt, 4 speed auto, for $1150, I think $800 is a bargain! Steve
  • Hi, Steve again. I just found out that 2 of our "local" parts yards were closed down., including the one that had the AMC transmissions. Apartently most every thing got crushed within a week. If you still don't have one, I'll look around some more. Steve
  • faustmb
    Still looking for one - Anyone have leads? A complete parts car or drive train might be an option.

I am looking for a friend by the way :)
  • faustmb
    Here is the car with the bad trans. I really like the style of these cars.

He would also be up for a V8 conversion if anyone knows of a donor car.

Matt
  • faustmb
    Still looking - Anyone with an AMC trans?

Matt
  • You may want to try both of the AMC forum websites, if you haven't already. I'm sure you will get some leads as there are a lot of AMC parts and experts who can assist your friend:

Note: You will have to register (free) before you can post your wanted ad.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/default.asp

http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl
  • 232 and 258 should be the same on the back of the block, same engine family 199, 232, 258. Might check might also be the same as 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, 401 all these engines were brought out at about the same time and may have a lot of interchange for bell housings, flywheels etc. Also AMC started using Torqueflites from Chrysler in the 71 and newer cars. Good luck. BTW, I'd stick with the 258, it's one hell of a good engine and as strong as they come, or the 232.
  • faustmb
    I found a 258 with a trans from a Spirit. I don't know what it will take to make the trans fit into thw Rogue.

We'll see...
  • A local junkyard here in the Dayton ohio area has a couple that look like the one in the picture,they have been sitting for a long time and one might have a manual trans. Jeff
  • Steve E. wrote:
    232 and 258 should be the same on the back of the block, same engine family 199, 232, 258. Might check might also be the same as 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, 401 all these engines were brought out at about the same time and may have a lot of interchange for bell housings, flywheels etc. Also AMC started using Torqueflites from Chrysler in the 71 and newer cars. Good luck. BTW, I'd stick with the 258, it's one hell of a good engine and as strong as they come, or the 232.

Be careful there.

The bellhousing pattern changed in 1972 on the AMC Six
    they went with the AMC V8 bolt pattern and on both engine families; the crankshafts were changed as well to accommodate the TorqueCommand (Mopar based) AT's.

On my 1967 American; the 232 Six in it was good but the BW 35 tranny was worn out. Transmission shop wanted $1,000 to rebuild it if I carried it in a la carte
    for that kind of money and work, I picked up a donor package 232 Six/904 AT for $200 and swapped it in instead. It cost me an additional $400 in modifications but I would do it again in a heartbeat! :D
  • faustmb
    This rogue is for sale now- The owner lost interest in the project. Still needs a trans. P-mail for more info and I can put you in touch with him.

Car is in Tampa FL.

Matt - AMCfaustmb@yahoo.com (drop the AMC)
This discussion has been closed.