Rambler American Rouge is like the Torino,made in

Unknown
edited November -1 in American Motors
Rambler American Rouge is like the Torino,made in Argentina? Read on and enjoy and mystery .... Bob Frassinetti.
There’s a mystery around the Argentine Torino car. This model is not only not a Ford, but it’s completely different from the American version. The first question that arises is: How did the Argentineans managed to use an American trademark for a completely different product without being busted?

First a bit of history about the magnificent American Torino model. This car was produced by Ford for the American market between 1968-1976. It was a medium size version for those days’ standards and it replaced the Ford Fairlane, although that name was retained for the base models with different trim than those that wore the Torino name. Available in a number of body styles this model featured a two-door fastback, two or four-door hardtop, a four-door station wagon, and a two-door convertible, while the Ford Ranchero car-based pickup used the same front end. Engine choices ranged from a 302 cubic inch small-block V8 to Ford's FE series 390 cubic inch big-block. The Torino GT was the upscale model, with extra 'sport' trim. During the following years much work would be done around this model, impoving its outstanding characteristics and expressing the latest innovations within the autoproduction industry. Its stylish and cool appearance was what guys called a “chick magnect” as well as an outstanding car. That’s why it has remained as a beloved and covetted possetion to our days, when some of these terrific pieces are collectables.

The Argentinean Torino also has a rich history to offer. Alike the American Torino, the Argentinean one was a breackthrough automobile. In 1966 the Torino, IKA’s first integral national product enters the market. One year latter, on November 1967 Régie Nationale des Usines, Renault joins IKA. From then on, Kaiser would no longer be IKA, but IKA-Renault, a very profitable partnership that would soon give birth to mass consumption models such as the Renault 12. This opens a new era in the Argentinean car industry. According to the sources we’ve researched, IKA and American Motors had signed an agreement for this car’s production in our country. The Rambler American Rouge was the foundation from which engineers and designers would be working on to create “our” Torino. The famous Italian carman Pininfarina would be the one who would adapt that standard version to the Latin style market by altering the front end and grille as well as the interior. The ultimate cool detail was the bull plaque on the grill, as a homage to the Argentine’s pampas that at the same time traced a link line with Ferrari’s “cavallino rampanti”-wild horse- and Lamborghini’s bull. On November 30th 1966 this glamorous car was presented to the Argentine market. Alike the American model, this Torino’s impact on the consumers’ market was just perfect. Everybody wanted to own a Torino, it was a cool, glamorous, fast and top of the top possession. Specially after the record breaking in Nuremberg in 1969 after 84 hours run. And also, alike the American one still is, and has become a precious collectible for those automobile lovers. Such was this car’s impact in to the Latin market that soon after it was released, there were made scale auto models reproductions of this beauty. Among the most careful and glorious diecast Torino examples was Buby’s, a coveted toy back then and a beloved collectible nowadays.

It appears the mystery has been solved. Two different models, sharing the same name which have had an incredible impact within the automobile market and have set really high standards for future productions and left a permanent mark within this industry’s evolution.

Comments

• do you know where I can find Rambler body parts?
  • Bob... I pressume you are ARGENTINEAN... no es cierto? jeje

You have several mistakes in your history

first: RAMBLER ROGUE and RAMBLER AMERICAN are 2 different cars... the TORINO is a "relative" of the '64 RAMBLER ROGUE 440H

Second, it wasnt in Nuremberg where the TORINO ruled.. it was in NURBURGRING.

Third: I do not understand why you post the FORD Torino description as it has NOTHING to di with the IKA-Renault TORINO (despite it's name if course). The mystery is solved?? hohoho thanksssssssssssssssss

and btw, as you are talking about cars charing names you can explain that the 1961 Pontiac Bonneville Safari has nothing to do with the Lutteral Safari model.

come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  • Bob,

Thanks for the post. The Argentine Torino's had an interesting competitive career.

And Kurt is wrong - the only difference between a Rogue and the American was trim and interior bits. Hardly a "different car". The first Rogues were nothing more than a dealer installed option pack marketed by AMC dealers on the west coast before AMC started churning them out. AMC's own print ads referred to the Rogue as part of the American model line-up.

66roguead.jpg

But I guess if we follow Kurt's lead, he shouldn't be posting about American cars if he doesn't live here. That sort of nationalism is poison to an online forum.

Also, the Nuerburgring - once spelled Nuerburg-ring (hypenated) is in Nuremberg ("Nürburg" in German). Here is their contact information, if you'd like to check it out.

Nürburgring GmbH

Otto-Flimm-Straße

D - 53520 Nürburg

+49 (2691) 30 2 - 0

+49 (2691) 30 2 - 155

pr@nuerburgring.de

http://www.nuerburgring.de

If you want to join a bunch of car nuts who talk about cars and don't insult each other (at least, not on purpose ), have a look at this site;

www.carnuts.ws
  • Hi Karn Utz,

Thanks for your post and for clarifying what seems to be a confusion of my compatriot Kurt who's a bit confused about how one should juge other's intellectual production and what's the proper way to address a contribution or highlight an error of judgement -not that this is the case, nor that him being argentinean expresses anything about the rest of us...

Indeed there was a resarch process that took place before writing the article... To me it appeared as a quite interesting matter since I frequently email with American diecast collectors who were wondering about those coincidences between the American and Argentinean models.

I've developed further this matter and indeed I'd share any new insight or input I have from now on with fellow carnuts.

Best regards from beautiful and sunny Buenos Aires, Bob

PS:And thank you, I've joined Carnuts.Ws and so will enjoy also some good compmany!
  • Rambler Parts, Yes, one can get them here in Buenso Aires, Argentina, let me have more details and I might be able to help. Bob Frasinetti
  • Hi, Bob - glad you signed up!
  • Here's a photo I found on the internet of a 1967 AMC Torino, built in Argentina. Is this the car all of you are talking about?

1967AMCTORINO-ARGENTINA.jpg
This discussion has been closed.