52 Hornet rear brake drum max diameter

Time to replace the rear brake shoes, one of the drums is scored.
Anyone know  the maximum diameter these can be turned to?

Dave

Comments

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited May 2023
    I don't have the spec. FWIW since it's a rear drum I'd kiss it with the turner and go. My premise is that you're not road racing or constantly navigating 6% downgrades. The fact that new rear drums are not available also factors into why I wouldn't shave much off.  
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    So, apparently the maximum oversized diameter is typically stamped on the rim of the brake drum. Not so with the Hudson drums ( at least not on the ones I have) Nor does the Hudson service manual list this specification.
    A google search however revealed that the standard turning oversize for a 15” drum is .060” with the wear limit (discard size) is +.090”.

Dave
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Correction! meant to say 11" drum not 15"

Dave
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Good reference info. I'm hoping someone else chimes in here to inform us that new replacement drums are indeed available from such and such source. I don't think there is an alternative replacement but hope I'm wrong...
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The following is a website for a company that installs replacement brake surfaces in brake drums.    https://www.jgrelining.com/   There are a number of these companies located in the USA... a google search will produce others.  
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Thanks Glowplug.  I didn't know that such a solution existed. Goes to show one can learn something new everyday. Have you used this company for Hudson drums?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    StepUp,  I have not, but I have an acquaintance with much rarer drums lined for a  classic vehicle. The owner was pleased with the results.