Clutch Install Questions

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Hopefully by this weekend I’ll have things ready to start the new clutch installation on my 37.  I’ve picked up some 8” bolts this morning to cut heads off to make pilot studs but wasn’t sure I needed that much length, any suggestions on a length?  Next, I’ve read somewhere to use “Permatex” on the crank flange before installing the flywheel.  Which Permatex?  I’m leaning toward a high temp ultra Permatex so I DON’T get leaks.  Really hate all the leaks!

Any other recommendations, tips or tricks?

Comments

• I use Aviation Permatex in the small brush top can
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    The pilot bolts for supporting the transmission re-installation need to be about 5” or 6”.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Make 1 of the pilot bolts 1/2” shorter than the other. 
  • Did you PHYSICALLY test fit all the parts?  I installed a stepdown overdrive in my 42 Commodore 8. I rebuilt the trans with a Wildrick kit (gaskets & bearings - everything fit)
    I also used a Wildrick clutch kit with the alignment tool.  

Using long guide bolts, I could NOT for the life of me get the trans inserted and seated into the clutch. (cue the expression of much anger)

Long story short, the end of the input shaft was too big(!) to fit in the new pilot bearing. 

Was the end of the input shaft mushroomed? Sure didnt feel like it.
    Was there a wrong part somewhere? Who knows

Eventually I removed the pressure plate and pilot bearing. (lost the new fluid and had to order another gasket) 

Then I carefully filed the input shaft until it fit the actual pilot bearing that I was actually using.  I also test fit the disc on the input shaft. It had no problems. 

Reassemble and then everything went smoothly. 
    BUT there sure was a lot of swearing until I had it finally figured out. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I know the Hudson swear game very well!  Fortunately with the reassembly, I had no major issues.  Worst of it was not being able to get the pressure plate bolts started when sealant was on the gasket.  

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pays to check the fit of the  bearing on the input shaft nose before installing.  I do it every time.   Doesn't take much of a knock to distort the nose.   Even hammering on the shaft to remove during overhaul can do the damage.