Repairing a Stepdown Steering Wheel

My '51 Commodore steering wheel needs some help. The plastic is nearly all there but it has cracks and is missing a few chunks here and there. I'm contemplating trying to help it out with epoxy. Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand or repair technique?

Comments

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    A 20 page booklet is available(?): STEERING WHEEL RESTORATION HANDBOOK by Jack Turpin Copyright 1981 mine is 2nd edition 1987. No ISBN number. Author listed: Jack Turpin Box 2474, Route 2 Peaceful Valley Subdivision, Cleveland, Georgia 30528 (I have no affiliation).  Quite complete coverage from removal, repair (incl hard rubber, plastic), epoxy, repaint - restoring knobs. Probably out of print?  Let us know.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    I'll check this out!   Anybody know Jack?  Maybe he has some updates on products.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I see a copy on Abe Books - other book dealers may have it.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Seems to me that in the last 42 years the products/materials used to restore a 70+ year old steering wheel would be greatly improved since 1981.  Some of the techniques of repair are probably still appropriate.  As an example leading is virtually unheard of since the introduction of ‘bondo’ like material, ‘filler’ primers, and catalyzed paints.  
  • I remember about 5 years ago there was a company in the USA who restore them if you have a core (which you do) They focused on the 1950s hot rod market ...I'd google the hell out of the subject to find them if I was you as I remember their website was showing beautiful marbled wheels ...hope you have success...just wish I booked marked them cheers ken
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I used a clear epoxy, spread it into the crack and simply wound clear sellotape around it.  When the epoxy hardened I removed the sellotape, sanded the epoxy, then painted it with primer and  nitrocellulose lacquer.   These original wheels were nitro-cellulose based.   
  • Back again found them ...they are Australia based
    pearlcraft.com.au 
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    these are some excellent leads. Mr. Turpin appears to have left us in 2014, so I certainly think that there is a niche for someone to update his classic  book on repair taking new tech into account. About to email Australia.
  • Eastwood makes a kit. I know a couple of people who have used it, and had very nice results.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Check Hemming for a company that restore  them
  • There is a company in Adelaide South Australia that restores steering wheels, Do a very good job but cannot remember name though.
  • atc
    atc Member
    I know when dad and I redid my wheel we used that gray hardening epoxy you mix together on a paper plate. It's lasted a long time but the wheel is starting to split at the very top again.
    If you have a marbled wheel (or want one) I cannot emphasize how talented airbrush artists are. For a fraction of the price of a re-cast, I got a marbled steering wheel that looks just as good, if not better, from a local airbrush guy. It's lasted longer than the underlying epoxy fix :smile:

• pseftoncomcastnet
    I checked out these Australian restorers and some American recasters. Pearlcraft.au does fine art quality work, and some of the others are probably "Better than Hudson." But high quality - high price. Expect to pay $1-2K for a nice job. 

My Commodorer's a "driver," and that's only on the days it feels like running. Thinking about an epoxy and scotch tape investment, may be with a trip to the air brush studio.