oil pump help needed

ski4life65
ski4life65 Expert Adviser
My oil pump was leaking on the 54 Hornet. I took it out to put on a new gasket, and now I can't get the pump back in. The engine did not get rotated. It came out easy, and thought it would slide right back into position. Any suggestions or tricks? I have done a few others in the past, but I don't remember having issues before. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ski4life65
    Ken Ufheil got me taken care of.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Curious - What was the answer / solution to your issue?
  • My guess is that he didn’t pull the distributor out first. I had trouble getting mine in and when I pulled the distributor out it fell back in.
  • ski4life65
    I had to pull the distributor out a little to get pump back in. I had pulled pumps in the past with no issues....must have been lucky before.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is a specific procedure to ensure you get the slot in the right position at 1-6 T.D.C.   If  you remove the oil pump it can be at any position of the drive gear upon  re-installation. 
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I machine a reproduction of the tool to time or index the distributor correctly, so you don't have to reset your plug wires - check your shop manual. You can PM me or email at HETgtkristi0@gmail.com (note new email it is a zero) Remove HET Gert Kristiansen HET member since March 1968. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I have and used Gert's reproduction of the Kent-Moore J-2794 distributor-oil pump alignment tool.  Highly recommend getting it if you're going to be removing and then putting back in place the oil pump on a Hudson "big six" engine.  The tool takes the guess work out of the job and sets up your distributor just like when it first came out of the factory back in 1954.