Gas tank sending unit for 6v 1937 Hudson Sedan 6

Does anyone know what 6v sending unit might fit and work in my original 1937 Hudson Sedan 6 gas tank?
Thanks

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are looking for a bi-metal, not a resistor type.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    First, have you tested the circuit by running a (new) wire from the dash gauge to the sender, verifying you have power to the dash gauge, and making sure that the sending unit is grounded?  (It helps to remove the sender from the tank so you can manipulate the float arm and make sure it's moving all the way from empty to full.)

You can do ohm tests on the sender and dash gauge to make sure they're "mated".

What was the symptoms?  Was the needle moving at all?  If it always reads empty, the float might have sunk to the bottom of the tank.
  • My gauge reads a little under 1/2 all the time.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    You say it shows 1/2 full/empty all the time.  Is that also when the ignition switch is off too?
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    If it goes to ‘E’ when the ignition switch is off and will only show 1/2 then you should check to see if the float arm is stuck or you have a bad sender unit.  If the gauge stays at 1/2 regardless of the key ignition on or off, then it’s a gauge issue 
  • I sure wish mine always showed 1/2 Full! :D
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Paul Schuster (Pittsburgh, PA.) sells sending units that fit several years of Hudsons. You must modify the float arm according to the year of your Hudson.  You should get in touch with Paul to learn more.  Unfortunately, my '37 is a bit quirky and non-standard, so I engaged the services of Ken Ufheil (Plano, TX) to devise a sender that would work in my unique situation.  Contact info for both Paul and Ken can be found in the H-E-T Roster.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    On the recommendation of a HET member, I tried a Series 1 (1968-73) Volkswagen Beetle ("Bug" in the US, I think) in my 1934.
    Unfortunately, that hasn't worked.
    I think the problem is that all these modern replacement senders work on the Ohms resistance principle whereas the originals used a b-metallic strip arrangement, so unless someone reproduces something compatible with that, there's no solution.
    In the meantime, I just top up the tank to the top of the filler pipe every time I go out.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    If you have a core. John Wolfe rebuilds them.

https://antiqueinstrument.com/index.php

regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    Hi Tom,
    I looked at the website - is he expensive ?
    My original sender doesn't look as though there is anything to rebuild in it - just an arm that slides up and down a brass (?) strip.
    I might just try cleaning it up myself if I can open it up.
    David.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Bob’s speedometer sorted out the fuel sender unit for my 34.  Now both the fuel and water level gauges work well
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    edited March 2023
    the price they quoted me at John Wolfe was reasonable in my opinion, but mine is a ‘35 and it is the bi-metallic type. 
     Is yours original to your ‘37?

regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    Can you say how much, Tom, please ?

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    I will check my records for the number. 
    Regards, Tom
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Sorry, I could not find my paperwork, but I did call John. Nice man, but he is by his lonesome there now. He has NO help. Turn around maybe an issue and he could not give me an estimate on a King-Seeley bimetallic sender. Says he has only seen about 10 units in 50 years. 
    Regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks anyway, Tom.
    D.
  • Old Fogey UK
    The internet has turned up this -
    1934 Hudson Fuel Sender (mykmlifestyle.com)
    Anyone tried this supplier ?
    He seems too modest (sarc) to post his prices !
  • m_mman
    m_mman Member
    He rebuilt my 1929 Cadillac fuel sender. A rather complex unit with pot metal gears. It wasnt cheap but it returned correct and working. 
    I just sent him my 42 sender. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    I still have the original sender and I might have a go at fettling it myself - I don't really have anything to lose !
    Hudson used quite a few parts identical to those in contemporary MOPAR cars - it's a pity they didn't use the same fuel gauge/sender set up, it would have made life much easier for us when it needs fixing !
    Plymouth: First Decade - Early 1930s Fuel Sending Unit (ply33.com)