Air Cleaner on a 1934 - How Do You Oil It ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
I'm running on a Daytona Universal Zenith 228 lookalike carb.
Up to now I've used the Daytona's own air cleaner but it's much noisier than the original '34 air cleaner when I've tried that on the carb, so I'm swapping back.
The only thing I can't work out is how to oil the metal filter mesh in the old air cleaner.
The Procedure Manual says to dip the filter in engine oil, drain the excess and then refit.
However, the filter mesh seems to be permanently attached to the body of the air cleaner and there appears to be no way of taking it out.
Does the Manual mean that I have to dip the whole filter end of the air cleaner in oil ?
This sounds like an incredibly messy thing to do !

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    I think something has been missed out there... :)
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Ok.. there was an old man fat finger reply if I have ever seen one. What I meant to send was this:

I have a ‘35 Sedan Deluxe. the manuals refer to the ‘34-‘35 “filters” as silencers. It appears you could oil them. It seems they quieted air noise, contained the flame from any backfires and kept  out large debris. I have a perfect ‘35 silencer on the shelf, but I run a period oil bath from a Dodge or Chevy, I forget which. Only purists know the difference. 

Regards, Tom
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Best method is to wash the filter by dipping the whole thing in kerosene and swirling around until it rinses clean.  Leave to drain, dry off outside and give the gauze a couple of squirts with an oil can, should do the trick.   
  • I'm going to do this on mine then;since the start-up is coming.

Mine has remained dry since at least 1954

• I am also looking for the label on the choke. Carburetor crankcase 282S
  • Jack

I got the Carter automatic choke label from Carburetor King in St Louis

• Also there’s a guy on eBay that reproduces the brass triangle tag 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks, Guys.
    Geoff's idea sounds the least messy and will therefore be employed.

We all have that finger problem, Tom...  :D

All the best,
    David.
  • Thank you for the address of the label. For the brass triangle of the carbu I still have the original Carter 282S
  • Carburetor King St Louis.No site web?Thank you
  • Sorry.  He goes by ‘carburetor king’ on the AACA forum:

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/  
  • Back to Old Fogey’s post, in one of the mid-30’s Hudson Service magazines, there’s a picture showing a dealership service area.  They had a dip and drain station for the standard air cleaners.  

I’ll see if I can locate it and post it up
  • It's dead.
    CARBURETOR LABELS

Due to legal ramifications, labels will NOT be sold. NO EXCEPTIONS!
  • Possible a nice photo to be able to make a copy? Thank you
  • email me.  I sent you a private message