Stopgap Stepdown seat Covers

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
I'm past the 2 1/2 year mark in waiting for the stepdown upholstery I ordered from SMS Auto Fabrics, with no apparent end in sight. I'm looking around for some aftermarket make-do alternative so I have something to sit on. Does anybody have experience with a particular vendor or brand? I'm not necessarily looking for high quality - just something that will fit with minimal alteration. Doesn't need to look authentic. I'm still hoping SMS will come through as they have my money!  Car is a 1951 Commodore 4 door sedan. 

Peter sefton

Comments

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Unfortunately, your only option for seat covers is a local upholstery shop.  Labaron Bonney was the wholesale supplier for all the seat cover companies like Kanter, JC Whitney, and Perfect fit.  Labaron Bonney closed and filed for bankruptcy a few years back.  You might try two piece truck bench seat covers if you do not have the rear armrest in the back seat, but they may need to be altered to fit. 
  • Many people just throw Mexican blankets over the seats and use them. You could also put them on and hold them with a few stiches through your existing upholstery since it is waiting to be replaced anyhow.
  • I've never cared for the ' throw a blanket on it' approach. However, I've seen recent examples of people taking wool 'mexican blankets' and using those as raw material to sew custom seat covers with other materials like vinyl offsets. Some actually look pretty decent when fitted and not in garrish/clashing colors or designs. 
  • I would have done all stripes myself, but not my car.
  • Try, Saddleman Saddle Blanket Universal Seat Covers, Inexpensive and decent quality for "stop gap".