Buyer Beware!

2»

Comments

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Huddy42 said:
    You can even get conned by well known Hudson guys, I found this out as well after sending parts and expecting payment later, he is the loser  will never get anymore parts from me as long as I live, even if he is desperate.

Have you issued a complaint to the HET?
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I think part of the problem is when a person is trying to find realy hard to come by parts they tend to let there gaurd down and forget how hard it is to get these parts and they fall for a bunch of BS that some one has the parts they need then the trap is set by the seller. As for myself I have been looking for some very rare parts for my 36 Terraplane and one thing I was told by many club members I would never find them in the US and they were right the bright side is I did find the parts I needed in Sweden the seller wanted half down and the rest when they were ready to ship. I could tell by his emails he was telling the truth so I used paypal to pay him in full right away and two weeks he  not only sent me pictures of the parts he also sent me a video of all the parts in a brand new wood box that he had build himself and I was told by my shipper that the parts will be here in a few weeks and this person is not even a club member. There are good people out ther and that also goes for the other club members over seas who have sold me parts in the past you guys are great and that also goes for the guys in the USA.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Huddy42 said:
    You can even get conned by well known Hudson guys, I found this out as well after sending parts and expecting payment later, he is the loser  will never get anymore parts from me as long as I live, even if he is desperate.

As a club we can't really get involved because it's a private transaction. It is not good when people pull stunts like this and I appreciate the frustration.

This is the advice that Aaron Cooper posted a while back:

"Normally we leave it to the two parties to work out.  We will remove comments that are disparaging or accusatory because this is about the hobby not place for hosting a "he said/he said"  discussion.  Also none of us have time to pretend to be referees in an online forum.  Has the party in question offered to return your money in exchange for the parts returned?  Usually that is how it is handled.  If you suspect they may not give back your money you could always use an escrow service if worth it.  Hope this helps.
    "
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I sell on many forums. I know a lot of sellers. My opinion is there are more scam/ dishonest buyers then sellers. You need to be honest to keep selling, you don't need to to keep buying , there are other sellers.
    I prefer a good nights sleep to a few extra dollars.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2021
    Huddy42 said:

No I have not issued a complaint, as it is my pleasure to never sell him any more parts, he now has to go overseas to purchase, so that is my satisfaction, this in actual fact costs him more now as he has to pay for freight from overseas. I just love sitting here watching him asking for parts which I have here on my shelf.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    630 area code puts him in the Chicago area.
    I can't find him in the roster for old or present members of the club.

I bought a trim part and it hasn't shipped. PayPal showing they received the money.
    something seems fishy    

• I have gotten refunds from PayPal when that happens ! One of the big things it has going...
  • Kdancy
    edited July 2022
    He had me send it as a "gift" so paypal doesn't refund those after money is taken. 
    Won't happen again unless it's someone I personally know.
    I should have smelled this out to begin with, but how many people go to car forums and scam people on the forum?  lesson learned. 
    The guys name is Wendi Sanley and it took several tries to get him to send me his phone
    # 630-733-9278 and when I did finally get him, he was very hard to understand.

Here is the original email I was sent-

[Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum'] Niclodeon9204 sent you a message
    You forwarded this message on Thu 7/7/2022 9:06 AM
    Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' https://openforum.hetclub.org/
    Niclodeon9204 sent you a message
    You must have missed the post of BayouTurkey29 that posted about 52 Wasp Sedan RH quarter trim piece for sale some days ago.. I asked about it and he said it's still available with him.. Here's his email wendiautos@gmail.com

Reply: https://openforum.hetclub.org/messages/23583#Message_35097

• hchtc
    hchtc Member
    edited July 2022
    no such person, i got the same scam thing when i posted about 51 fender emblems for a Hudson hornet, they claimed they had one, but no such user and or no one named either they referenced, and post linked did not work or exist. they sent me pictures of the item for sale but it was a copy of the first google image that comes up,  and the asking price was about 1/4 of what it should have been. luckily i didn't send them any money as i suspect i too would never receive this item. sorry. scammers.

Wendi Sanley <wendiautos@gmail.com>
    To:
    • You
    Wed 6/29/2022 1:43 PM
    Good day Jason, 

Yes, I have it for sale and here's a picture of it.. Price is $120 shipped
    Hornet png

Thanks Sanley

“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and will not be afraid for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song and he has become my salvation... ”-Isaiah 12:2

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 3:35 PM Jason Culp <ff9128@hotmail.com> wrote:
    good day,

I was referred to you per someone on
    Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' https://openforum.hetclub.org/

I am looking fo a set of 51 Hudson hornet fender rocket emblems.
    was informer you may have a set
    please provide prices and a price with shipping to mn 55362 thank you

org message sent to me:

Niclodeon9204 sent you a message

You must have missed the post of BayouTurkey29 that posted about 1951 Hornet front fender rockets for sale some days ago.. I asked about it and he said it's still available with him.. Here's his email wendiautos@gmail.com

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Never ever use the friends etc on paypal unless they are really your friend or family.  This is always a dead give-away that it is a fraud.  You will have no recourse if you use that option as paypal is only protecting sellers and buyers in online transactions - if they are your friend they should not be screwing you!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I'm confused by those messages because I can't find either of those users registered on this site? Where have they come from
  • Kdancy
    Paul, I received that message in my email.  Looked like it originated from this site.
    Apparently scammers are searching car forum adds and scamming off of the "want" adds.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Kerry they are everywhere.  I am now always suspicious of anyone that responds to anything I am looking for, when they say, I have such and such NOS, or my Dad left me XYZ and I need to get rid of this.  They skim the AACA, and all the club sites.  I was surprised when one of the N. CA crooks got hold of me through the Nash club site.  It is an old clunky site that takes time to go through item by item, yet the guy did.  He did not get anything out of me, but he sure tried and had enough knowledge to sound like you could trust what he said.  Buyer beware!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Kdancy said:
    Paul, I received that message in my email.  Looked like it originated from this site.
    Apparently scammers are searching car forum adds and scamming off of the "want" adds.
    That is damn sophisticated then Kerry!

Based on your experience here it pays to be extra vigilant indeed. I second the comments re "send as a gift or to a friend" , if you don't know someone then it's not a good idea. I know people do that to avoid being charged a merchants fee by PayPal 
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy said:
    That is damn sophisticated then Kerry!

Based on your experience here it pays to be extra vigilant indeed. I second the comments re "send as a gift or to a friend" , if you don't know someone then it's not a good idea. I know people do that to avoid being charged a merchants fee by PayPal 
    Paul, it might be a good thing to post a permanent scammer topic on the header page. This one sure caught me by surprise when it looked like it came from this site straight to my email.

• I also got the same message.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I'll put some words together Kerry and get it up there
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Just another suggestion to those of us who peruse this site's "Classifieds" in search of Hudson cars & parts: Always check the Sellers history on this site by clicking on their name (which takes you to their history). Be particularly cautious if dealing with a new member who has few or no interactions. Basic stuff but sometimes purchase excitement trumps logic (don't ask me how I know).
  • Here is another scammer..wanted  friends n family thru paypal also he went down on price to $50 real quick...
  • Kdancy
    I recently shipped this steering wheel and it was stolen at FedEx sorting facility in Jacksonville Fl  This is the second time I have had a part stolen, first was a Hudson starter, also stolen in Jacksonville USPS sorting facility. Found it later for sale on Ebay.

• It's an epidemic. Locals in my town won't mail anything that looks like it may be a greeting card any longer. They are stolen by USPS workers hoping to score gift cards. I know numerous people who have experienced this.
  • ArtC
    ArtC Member
    Hi all, I joined this forum as I had an Edmunds Custom head for a Hudson. That head's now long gone.  I felt I should comment on this thread from my experience.  I sell on eBay, mostly vintage and hot rod parts.  I've had over 4000 sales and picked up one negative and two neutrals in those 4000 sales.  If you're buying from someone you don't know, there is only one way you should pay.  PayPal for "goods and services."  You can pay with the fees being charged to you.  If your seller insists on you sending it "Friends and Family" even after telling him that you're paying the fees, it's time to end the negotiation.  I am a legitimate seller.  On the very rare occasions that I post items on forums, I always tell my potential buyer to look me up on eBay.  I give them an item number and tell them to look at my items and feedback send me an email through eBay and I'll respond to them to prove I'm me.  I always tell them to send the money through PayPal goods and services and I'm willing to pay the 3% fee.  One last time, with people you don't know, PayPal goods and services is the only way to send money.
  • ArtC
    ArtC Member
    BTW, here's my credentials on my Hudson restorations.