Scarebird closing down

Comments

• Wait, what? When? There's nothing on the site about closing.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited January 2023
    They actually are already closed and selling off inventory!  Hudson brackets are sold out.

From their website:
    Due to latent supply constraints from Covid-19, we have decided to shut down operation effective end of 2022.  Items still listed are available - those not listed will not be replenished.

Phone is not is use - please email us direct:
    tech@scarebird.com
    We sincerely appreciate your patience.  Website will revert to info only regarding kits previously sold in 2023.

• That's a drag. His kits saved people major $$ when converting. He used to cover a large number of applications too...
  • Does anyone have the bracket dimensions we can use to re-create the correct bracket at a local machine shop? I think the bracket was the only non-shelf part in that whole kit. That was the simple beauty of the Scarebird kits.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    scarebird replied on Tuesday to an email I sent over the weekend.  They stated they had about four kits left.  The website let me put one in the cart and order it this morning.  Previously the website was showing out of stock.  
    So there could still be a few left as of today.
  • He didn't respond to my email so I assumed the 'out of stock' note was accurate. So much conflicting info...
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Most likely Scarebird machined these components on computerized milling machines. Each part would have a computer code (G code) fed into the milling machine which would  then drill and mill each feature  of the part. The code may be 100+ lines of instructions. The possibility here is that they may be willing to sell the program to another shop interested in continuing production. Then there would be an enormous amount of time saved  rather than trying to copy a sample part - especially the curvature of the bracket.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I took a shot at it superwasp.  Figure they'll refund my money if they don't have it. 

No immediate plan to do the conversion, but will have their parts and the instructions for when the time comes.
  • superwasp
    superwasp Member
    edited January 2023
    I tried too. It lets me put the kit in the cart, but not check out. 😆
    I actually have the complete parts list and instructions after asking Mark some technical questions about the new 2022 version. Mark just gave them to me in the fall. Now I know why he just gave them to me. Not sure why he didn't mention closing then, I would have bought plates then instead of waiting.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    ABS still has their kits available BTW.
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    Scarebirds earlier brackets use the Hudson hubs with Lincoln  rear rotors like other kits I've seen and these can be used on the pre 1948 cars and trucks. His latest kit uses a bearing spacer ,1968/1969 Mustang rotor with a 1964 Ford Galaxy inner bearing and race.. The 1st picture is his 1st plates /brackets. The bottom 3 pictures are pictures of the plates/brackets and bearing spacer from the latest version kit that he was selling. He made kits for a lot of vehicles and from what I've read had mostly positive reviews. Hopefully someone will buy the patterns,tooling and CNC programs and make kits again.

• So, the v1 and v2 plates were different. Interesting.  What's the depth of offset on the v2 plate? Also, what's the distance from the center of the spindle hole to the caliper bolts?
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    edited February 2023
    I think when I checked the offset was a 1/4". The later kit uses Mustang one piece rotors in seed of Lincoln rear rotors and modified Hudson hubs. The early set of plates/brackets would be the easiest to copy.