Winter project - finally finishing the exhaust

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
Hi fellas, Figured I would share my latest adventure - 'finishing' my dual exhaust.

For the longest time, I simply had some runs of flex pipe between my headers and exhaust. We'll, I finally broke down and bought some 2" multi bends, printed some tube bend layout guides, a cutting guide and dug out the welding equipment and went to work.

The guides I printed really helped, but just got me close - frustratingly close...  Also, I've been 15 years out of practice TIG welding...  My first-pass welds were OK, but I traveled down the path of sealing all the pinholes I left and (these runs will have O2 sensors eventually), well, they still fit when I was done.  

Rear extension - preweld

Rear extension - final

Layout of front extension

Not too bad...

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Thanks for showing the steps in the process
  • Agree with Hans, Thank you. You do great work
  • I need to re-do my dual exhaust w early Clifford headers, one inside the frame and one out, not done very well back in the day
  • Great work though Grim
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    "I need to re-do my dual exhaust w early Clifford headers, one inside the frame and one out, not done very well back in the day"

That is an understatement...........
  • GrimGreaser
    Inner fenders are soooo overated... 😉
  • Ski knows what I’m talking about. But it’s not the inner fenders, it’s under the car. 
  • GrimGreaser ---Interesting! But I don't recognize the technique you used to model the pipes. Are the various white, red, black colored pieces simply 2" PVC piping cut to size and glued together? Hard to tell from the pics.
  • GrimGreaser
    I have a 3D printer, and, after spending about a half hour in CAD figured someone has figured this out already, found a 3D CAD set of 2" pipe setup sections for laying out bends at 22.5° intervals w/ 1" straight sections. I made the sections to integrate the 3/4" pcv pipe. I designed and 3D printed the green cutting guide so I could match the angles of the sections I printed.  There are kits you can buy that accomplish the same thing for $$$$$...