1927 essex

Can anyone tell me how many link pins are between timing  marks, as my chain doesn't have any marks on it.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    This comes up all the time,. and nobody seems to recall!  The instruction book is ambiguous, but there are pictures therein which describe it.   For the record, it says 20 pins as when measuring distance.   So, with the cam wheel set with the punch marks at 1 o'clock,  and the crank at approx 6 o'clock the first pin is counted as No. Zero As when measuring distance,(ot stepping out 20 paces)  you then count the next pin as No. 1, and finish up with pin No. 20 between the crank sprocket marks.  At this setting, No. 1 exhaust valve will be closed, and  the inlet valve just starting to open, and the distributor points should be just opening and the rotor pointing to No. 6 terminal.  
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    excellent step by step discription

• Thank you again Geoff, one more Question should these timing marks line up with the too dead centre marks on flywheel? As I can't see how that can happen  as crank sprocket can only go in one position  on keyway.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, you should align the  flywheel marks with the bottom edge of the engine plate opening as a starting point.   Also, I erred in one point, when you have the timing set right the exhaust valve should be still slightly open and the inlet will not open until a few teeth after t.d.c.   To measure this you need to insert a feeler gauge in  the  inlet valve tappet so it takes up all the clearance, and when the feeler pinches in the gap, that is when the valve is starting to open.   If the chain is worn, these settings will be retarded somewhat, but that is nothing to worry about.  if you have the pins and punch marks set right all will be well.