1942 original headlight (nice surprise)

Working on my 42 Commodore.  Rewiring the lights (head, fender and hood) and cleaning the grounds. 

I knew that they were original prewar bulbs because they didn't have the alignment pads.  
When I removed them, it turns out the one is a replacement (no pads but integral reflector) but the other is Original Hudson.

It has a Hudson sticker and a separate reflector. Amazingly it still works and is nice and bright. 

Glad it is still working because the tag says that if I need a replacement I have to return to my local Hudson dealer. 

I think the printed numbers are the part number(?) 

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    That's  really cool, great find
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Some early sealed Beams had a separate bulb inside. 
  • Funny how we're back to that same concept now. And push button starters. What was once considered old is now 'new' .
  • Sealed beams were brand new in 1940. (regulations) Many owners and mechanics would not have understood them or how they were serviced. 

Looking on eBay for some spare 6v sealed beams.
    Many NORS made in the 50s bulbs, in the original boxes touting their superiority because they have "alignment gizmoes" for the tool and now you dont have to use a screen.
    A significant advancement.

I have a set of the suction type aimers and use them on all my cars. 
    How do you aim your headlights? 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I set up a screen 20 feet in front of the car, on a flat surface,  measure the distance between the lamps, and the height from the floor,   Look through the back window  and get a centre point on the screen.   Mark the centres the beams should be  on the screen, and turn the headlamps on full beam.  Adjust high point of full beam according to marks on screen.