WDO Carb on a 308?

Can a 49 WDO carb be used on a 51 308? with or without modifications?  

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It will not be matched to the engine, so you would need to  fit the proper metering rods. 
  • Geoff said:
    It will not be matched to the engine, so you would need to  fit the proper metering rods. 
    So could just the metering rods out of a WGD be used in the WDO to solve that? Anything else need to be swapped?
  • Geoff said:
    Geoff, Could the base on the WDO be used on the WGD without swapping anything else?
    The problem is the base on my WDO is set up to hookup a GM accelerator pedal cable and a GM2004r Transmission detent cable and I need that setup since I'm swapping motors to a 308.  Plus the WDO has been freshly rebuilt.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    NO, the carbs are different construction. 

• Geoff said:
    Ok, so just install the WGD metering rods and metering rod jets into the WDO and that's it?

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I doubt that they are the same length, but I cannot be 100% on this. 
  • Geoff said:
    I doubt that they are the same length, but I cannot be 100% on this. 

Ok Thanks
  • The metering rods for the WDO and WDG carburetors were different part numbers.  I have a feeling that they won't substitute.  Perhaps the information will help.

• cchancel,  great info thanks for sharing.

It shows the metering rods to be the same length at 2-59/64" but the diameter of the rods is slightly wider on the WGD and the metering rod jets are also slightly wider on the WGD at .089".  Accelerator pump specs appear to be the same on both WDO and WGD.

The only potential difference I see is the Pump adjustment. both carbs use gauge T109-117S but the WDO is at 18/64" while the WGD is "43" on the gauge, not sure what that difference might be if any.

Could anything else be a potential problem?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited December 2022
    I would suggest finding a WGD as the WDO will not give you the same performance.  There was a reason why the WGD was introduced in place of the WDO.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    I would suggest finding a WGD as the WDO will not give you the same performance.  There was a reason why the WGD was introduced in place of the WDO.
    Unfortunately, a stock Hudson solution doesn't solve the problem as outlined earlier in the post re: the accelerator and detent cables, but thanks.
  • In all hot rod reality, why can’t you just put the WDO on yiur 308 since it it’s set up and rebuilt already? Yes a WGD is better but WDO can’t be that bad. See how it runs and performs. 
  • Cheyenne7271,  Well my first plan was to run a twin H setup but since the WA1 carbs actuate side to side vs the 2 bbl is front to back I can't see a good way to attach the accelerator and detent cables. 

So my plan became to do as you suggest and reuse the WDO that I had setup on my 262.  If it is a simple as swapping the metering rods and jets from a WGD to the WDO to get the 308 to perform as it should then that works fine for me.  I just wanted to hear opinions from those who may have done this before.

• I think it’ll probably run just fine as is. Older cars tend to be a bit rich anyway
  • Check the jets and see what size they are, those might be interchangeable
  • WDO metering rod jets are .086 WGD are .089 per the info posted above. The metering rods themselves correspond as well with the WGD slightly wider. The rod lengths are the same which should be even more important. So, if the WGD jets will screw into the WDO body things may work out well. And Cheyenne, perhaps it may run well as is.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    The steps may be different between the WDO and WDG rods, they'll have to be measured and compared. I had a WDO on my '52 308 when I first got it. It will be leaner than a 308 WGD, worked out for me at elevation, though. Edelbrock Performer jets will interchange with WGD jets, I think WDO as well.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I've interchanged 6 & 8 Cyl carbs , 262 and 308 carbs.
    No noticeable difference if the carb is working right.
    The carbs were meant to work in all altitudes and temperatures and gear ratios.
    They are a compromise.
    Put it on as is and give it a try.
    It's a hobby, if it doesn't work , try again.