1933 Straight 8 coupe

Looking for people that own them as I just bought one and have lots of questions..Thank You

Comments

• tombia
    tombia Member
    What you want to know?  50 years experience with one.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    forgot to ask.  Hudson or Terraplane??
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    A '33 Terraplane eight is a rare bird, but if you have a '33 Hudson, you have one of about 15 survivors!
  • Steven
    Steven Member
    Now I am a bit confused   I thought they were all Hudsons and Essex and terraplanes were models.......Title says Essex....Hub caps say Terraplane 8 ID # 72922.HELP
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Hudson and Essex were two separate nameplates made by the Hudson company.

The Essex had been the big Hudson's inexpensive smaller companion car since 1919.   In 1932 the company again offered the Essex and the Hudson, but introduced the new (small) Essex-Terraplane.

For 1933 the regular sized Essex was dropped, the Essex-Terraplane continued on (but with the option of either a six or eight cylinder engine), and the full-sized Hudson continued on. This was the only year one could buy an eight-cylinder Terraplane.  Also, 1933 was a bad year for all motor companies, so there are not that many Terraplane eights left, and only about 15 Hudsons.

In 1934 both cars were again produced, but the smaller car was now just a Terraplane.

The Hudson was produced up to 1957, but the Terraplane was dropped during the 1938 model year.
  • Steven
    Steven Member
    Thank you for that information...I have the title that says that the make is an Essex and that the VIN is 72922 and that it says Coupe...It is a 2 dor withe a rumble seat and a rear spare.  How else could I identify it?.Thank You Again
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    Steven said:
    Thank you for that information...I have the title that says that the make is an Essex and that the VIN is 72922 and that it says Coupe...It is a 2 dor withe a rumble seat and a rear spare.  How else could I identify it?.Thank You Again
    This is what it should look, like, except for the wheels, tombia
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I would add, that if you intend to hold onto this car you may want to look into joining the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, an active organization since 1959, with chapters across the U.S., and members around the world.  The H-E-T sponsors this forum and has a website on which members have access to an on-line library of vintage sales and technical literature.  It also publishes an award-winning printed magazine, The White Triangle News, six times a year.  The Club maintains a number of member services and has a yearly national meet that moves around the country.  The chapters (to which membership is optional) hold local activities and publish their own newsletters.  You can find the national website at http://www.hetclub.org/ .  If you'll mention your approximate location, we can direct you to the nearest chapter, and you can contact them to see if there are any activities (or fellow '33 owners) in your vicinity.
  • Steven
    Steven Member
    To answer my own questions.....I just purchased the book by Don Butler,"The History of Hudson"...."The Terraplane Eight, designated the series KT offered  U S buyers a choice of seven models on a 113" wheel base.  Serial numbers began with 65001 and went up....."
  • Ok, so I know Essex made a coupe in 1933.  Did Hudson make a coupe in '33 that wasn't an Essex? If so, anyone have a pic? 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, both Hudsons and Essex-Terraplanes were offered in a full line of body styles, including coupes and convertible coupes.  However, Hudson -- being the "full sized" car -- would have offered some long-wheelbase models that the Essex-Terraplane (a shorter car) would not have offered.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    For some reason,  when the 1933 Hudsons were introduced, the 5 window coupes of the previous year were gone, replaced with a one year only 3 window coupe. Maybe they thought it would look different than the Terraplanes and attract more buyers? There is only one example of a '33 Hudson 8 coupe known to exist.