wiper transmission

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor
My pass. side wiper trans cable broke, are the left and right the same or not interchangeable. 1951 Super Six. Thanks in advance. Rich

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    If it doesn't involve the cable near the pulley, a quick, simple repair would be to use an electric crimp connector between the two pieces of broken cable.  The previous owner of a 1950 Pacemaker I owned had made this repair and it lasted at least the 29 years that I owned the car and worked just fine every time I used the wipers.  
  • Richie
    If it doesn't involve the cable near the pulley, a quick, simple repair would be to use an electric crimp connector between the two pieces of broken cable.  The previous owner of a 1950 Pacemaker I owned had made this repair and it lasted at least the 29 years that I owned the car and worked just fine every time I used the wipers.  
    It broke right at the tensioner where it goes thru the firewall. I will take a closer look to see if there is enough room before it would hit the pulley. Great idea, I thank you.Richie
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    You should be able to buy cable at your hardware store. You will then need two splices
    with the new section around the pivot. Worked for me.
  • Richie
    lostmind said:
    You should be able to buy cable at your hardware store. You will then need two splices
    with the new section around the pivot. Worked for me.
    Thanks Lostmind, I haven't worked on it yet, had a busy weekend but will work on it starting tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion. Richie.
  • Richie  check your email.
  • Richie
    Update, last week I went to Ace Hardware, bought some cable and two connectors and spliced the new cable in. I was lucky as the connectors were just out of reach of the pulley wheels. Wipers work just fine. Thanks for your suggestions, they helped. Richie.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
     :):):):)