Changing or cleaning filter in oil bath air cleaner

Does anyone one know if it’s possible to take out the filter in an oil bath air cleaner and either clean it or replace it?

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Yes it can be replaced Fram makes them don't have the model number off hand someone  will chime in on it I'm sure 
  • The filters in oil bath air cleaners that I've seen, look similar to coarse steel wool between two heavy steel screens. I rinse them in a bucket of gasoline and shake them off and reinstall. I have used a bucket of Simple Green also. Submerge it and agitate, shake around, twist back and forth, etc., then rinse well with water, and let it drain well overnight before reinstalling.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    oil bath oil bath filters are pretty efficient. If the medium is still in place, just clean and service per the maint manual..unless it says clean with gasoline.. use mineral spirits or perhaps kerosene. 
    Regards, Tom
  • If I’m not mistaken some where fitted with coconut hair and if you use gas or kerosene it will disintegrate
    just a thought 
  • If I’m not mistaken some where fitted with coconut hair and if you use gas or kerosene it will disintegrate
    just a thought 
    Yes, coconut straw is what was in most. It's pretty durable and the Service Manual does indicate kerosene should be used as the cleaning agent. 
  • superwasp said:
    If I’m not mistaken some where fitted with coconut hair and if you use gas or kerosene it will disintegrate
    just a thought 
    Yes, coconut straw is what was in most. It's pretty durable and the Service Manual does indicate kerosene should be used as the cleaning agent. 
    How ever so interesting , I’ve had it fall out in a ball of mush but then again it could have been the type of kerosene I was using . House instead of standard kerosene 
  • superwasp said:
    If I’m not mistaken some where fitted with coconut hair and if you use gas or kerosene it will disintegrate
    just a thought 
    How ever so interesting , I’ve had it fall out in a ball of mush but then again it could have been the type of kerosene I was using . House instead of standard kerosene 
    That's weird. I wonder if a PO used something destructive and the kero simply finished the job. I believe the only difference in the kero grades is the amount of impurities. 
  • Also after cleaning the filter and letting it dry, I thought you were also supposed to wet that medium with fresh oil. 
  • superwasp
    superwasp Member
    edited November 2022
    Also after cleaning the filter and letting it dry, I thought you were also supposed to wet that medium with fresh oil. 
    Oddly, the manual says to do that with the gauze type filter, but is mum on the oil bath. I never understood why. 
  • I guess the question comes up does one of the other orphan car groups have a manual that indicates how to service one? Maybe Packard ,Nash ,Studebaker ?
  • This is actually a good read and explains why the Service Manual says to oil the gauze 'standard' element, but not the true oil baths with the coconut shells. True oil baths oil themselves with oil saturated air.
    Although, I love the PC move of telling you not to use kero without naming an alternative.  

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/old-fashioned-air-cleaner-service/