overdrive with alternator

Hello

Anyone out there successfully running an alternator with overdrive unit. Have set up as suggested overdrive wire to hot side of starter solenoid but no action.

Thanks

Steven

Comments

• I have an alternator on my 46 pickup with O/D. I converted it to 12 volts and swapped out the 6 volt o/d solenoid for a 12 volt one from a mid 50’s Ford. I ran a single wire from the ignition switch to a toggle switch with a little pilot light to the o/d solenoid. Works fine, flip the switch let up on gas and it’s in o/d. Flip it off and step on gas and it’s out of o/d. Put a fuse inline on the wire. Kenny Cates web site has a overdrive solenoid list.  They all look the same but there is a long plunger and short plunger. Hook it up to a battery with a jumper wire and measure the plunger throw.
    my Hudson as a long throw so I tried a couple and found one from Ford that matched up. Most all of the overdrives were made by Borg Warner and have interchangeable parts.

• Was thinking of doing that. Alternator is 6 volt positive ground so want have to worry about swapping solenoids.

Thanks