What suggestions for replacement wood?

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
Working on the interior and needed to fix the sliding rear quarter windows on my 36T.
Although the wood frames seem intact, they appear that replacing them might be a good move.
What did they use originally and more importantly, what would be a good, easy to work with, and lasting
replacement?
Thanks!
Jeff

Comments

• Wood?? Mine are metal with a painted wood grain effect. 1936 was the first year the entire body was made of metal ...no wood anywhere 
  • Alder. easy to machine. stable. I know companies that reproduce wood framed car bodies, and that is what they use.
  • jjbubaboy
    Hey Ken , yes my interior garnish moldings are metal. This is the frame that the rear quarter windows fit into. And they are wood. So it the rear header and the front header panels over the windshield and rear windows.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    car mfg’s in the states used ash.

regards, Tom
  • Thanks for the information..forgot our Hudson's had an Australian body which is similar to the USA but obviously metal rather than wood cheers ken
  • jjbubaboy
    I guess in Washington State, its prone to either rust or rot!
    Is Ash a relatively easy wood to work with and holds up well? 
    Should it be sealed before installed, and if so, with what?
    Thanks!
    Jeff
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Ash is a relatively hard wood, but unlike any of the oaks (white or red) it does not splinter when subjected to shocks (think baseball bats) hickory would also be a good choice. Ash machines and shapes well.

Yes, seal it before you attach the sheet metal. 

regards, Tom
  • jjbubaboy
    Thanks Tom!