1946 Hudson "Bigboy" truck - want to add an OD to it

kmorrow
kmorrow Member
edited September 2022 in Parts & Pieces
I have 1946 Hudson truck with 3 speed. I want to convert to overdrive. Is the OD unit used the R9B-1 or R10? Can anyone tell me where to acquire one with all of the associated bits? Also interested in 308 engine. Thank you in advance, Kevin Morrow

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    From 41 to 47 should all be the same overdrive it should be able to inner changeable 
  • Thanks Charles
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    My understanding is that they are the same '41 to 'mid '52. I don't any longer have one with all of the accessories or peripherals, but I might be able to come close. They are heavy to ship, 144 lbs, if I remember right, but it can be done.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Hi Kevin what worked for me years ago for my 1947 Hudson pick-up was a 1956 308 with 3 speed and overdrive along with a Ford 9 inch 3:50 ratio rear end. Able to keep up with traffic and still keep it mostly Hudson parts.  The original 6 cyl had only 3 main brgs and was babbit bearings which now is nearly impossible to find a shop to do.
  • Thank you James and Courtesy Man
  • James, where do you live. I am in Delaware. I would rather come pick up rather then ship.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Kmorrow where are you in DE?  I am near Newark.
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    kmorrow said:
    James, where do you live. I am in Delaware. I would rather come pick up rather then ship.

Minneapolis (sorry).
  • 50C8DAN, I was born and raised in Newark, De. Now In Milton 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2022
    kmorrow, may I suggest that -- once you've determined exactly which overdrive you want -- you start a new discussion entitled "overdrive wanted"  and put it in the "Parts & Pieces" section (under "Classifieds" in the menu to left).  State exactly what you want, and your location.  

Currently, your wish for an overdrive is part of a discussion called "1946 Hudson "Bigboy" truck.  There might be someone with a transmission to sell, but he won't pay much attention to your posting because it isn't obvious from the title that you're looking for a transmission.  

Just a suggestion.
  • Thank you. I am new to this site.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    No problem , I tweaked your discussion title for you as well
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2022
    Another 'option' would be to change-out the rear end (or a combination of both OD & rear end change (?)).  The 40's Hudson pickups were manufactured with the 4 5/9 rears, more for stump pulling than highways.  
    However, the rear end swap is another whole 'kettle of fish', and will set you off in a whole new direction..
    Also -
    - Watch the clutch and components.  Truck came from factory with a 10" clutch, most cars came with a 9".  Major components are not interchangeable;
    - Make sure to check the 'bell housing' (between the engine & the trans) - they're supposed to be interchangeable between all years, but I'd still double check, just to be sure;
    - You mentioned '308' engine. I am unsure if the clutchplate from the '46 212 engine is interchangeable with the 308, which was also available with an automatic transmission.  If you eventually go that route, there are many on this forum who are knowledgeable in this 'swap' as well;
  • I just spoke with al Saffrahn in Arizona, that man is amazing. He will build an Overdrive transmission for me. Thank you so much for all of the responses!
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    kmorrow said:
    I just spoke with al Saffrahn in Arizona, that man is amazing. He will build an Overdrive transmission for me. Thank you so much for all of the responses!
    Do you have to supply a transmission for him to rebuild, or does he have them available?
  • He has one to rebuild for me, he may have more. He does all of his own machining. supplies everything (solenoid, kickdown, wiring, OD cable etc...) to make the transmission ready to bolt up. The man is amazing, still very active in his 80's.
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Al Saffrahn built an overdrive for my 308 in my pick-up.  You'll be very happy with it!