Out right false advertising on ebay

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited September 2022 in HUDSON
I have not shopped for repro dealer signs on eBay for a few years.  I bought several a number of years ago for garage art at about $25 to $30 ea.  Well surprise now I checked out a few of a variety of makes and they now are in the $100 to $200 range, for the same signs.  Not only that they advertise them as "used" or "preowned"  Here is one that I doubt Hudson ever made or put in a dealer showroom!  Upon further inspection, it appears a lot of these so-called "used" original signs are actually made in India and even made to look old with rusty spots and all!  Buyer beware!  Seems there are a lot of the same "used" "preowned" signs of the same design.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195261830322?hash=item2d768314b2:g:sxcAAOSwJzZi6dOw&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoO1Ump1BEKp3J91PTqk4ARUXgw1qrxjB49JwRKkEHAH8wEy5/cdA9sTskh6ZlmFgh7PbDZ1aE6kTlRcyyTDVVxbuFsIoSNpWcBBW5M9284ikmH0b+6zK8+9IP7z7qV0ATofkZa9bhgRE0rdICZhRlnFmGpyHCqpyahu7FFJLzePtZzJqU3jwRbm+idNxUSVIV+ArTq2/oPr/IjqiHx/LG8Q=|tkp:Bk9SR9z8n-fmYA

Comments

• Lol. No way that's original advertising. We'll no doubt become the dumping ground of all kinds of garbage product as economies slow and inflation rages globally this winter.
  • There are USA based options out there for items like this. Some even do custom work for reasonable prices. I ran into this woman at Good Guys this year and her signs were actually pretty well done. I'd rather pay someone like this to make something custom than buy eGarbage.
    https://www.shannonwattsart.com/product/look-but-dont-touch-my-classic-metal-sign/?doing_wp_cron=1663075240.0105900764465332031250

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited September 2022
    Anytime I see someone on eBay claiming their rare, vintage, porcelain-enamel sign is original, but looks too good to be "original," I also check out what else that person's selling.  If they have a whole bunch of other rare signs for sale or up for bid in about the same condition you can be pretty sure they're all reproductions or just plain fakes much like that "Twin-H" sign.  
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Did you notice the "twins" in the Twin H ad ?
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    Guys, that IS an original sign made in the USA. The seller probably makes signs. I'm guessing it's one of his original designs. As for being USED, it might have been mounted on the wall at some point, but I doubt it.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    there's an unfortunate number of people buying signs thinking they are real.  not exclusive to ebay, they are in antique stores, flea markets...  but nice how some avoid certain words and use 'used' or 'pre-owned'.  then to print it with a 'dated 1952' just to be able to say that's on the sign.  lucrative business for that person looking at their sold prices
  • 50C8DAN
    The fact this crap is made in India just makes the price all that much more painful if you get caught up in the mess.
  • Dan I have one of those signs I bought for about 15-20 bucks about 15 years ago. Made it into a clock. I can see they took out the brass grommets to make it look more 'authentic'. This guy is a scam artist!
  • Some made in Poland. Disk shot;acid;buried in open ground and come out a few years later. The scam is total
  • It’s also to risqué of advertising for Hudson , they where a home grown type company . Rather scandalous if I may say so , wouldn’t have it in my shop.
  • Original from Belgium.Distributor my survivor 1934 

• the plaque on my survivor from 1934

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
     :):)  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    JACK356 said:
    Original from Belgium.Distributor my survivor 1934 

My French cousin's house was occupied by the Germans in WW2 and she has a painting on the wall that was hanging there in the War - it has bullet holes where the Germans used the picture for target practice.
    I think that Germans occupying Belgium might have done the same thing with Jack's
    sign !  :D:D:D
  • 50C8DAN
    I happen to be diving by Summit Racing in OH today and stopped in at their retail store.  Wouldn't you know they had the same signs you see on ebay for $100+, for about $30!  Same weight and brass grommets. 
  • All put of the same 3rd world factory, no doubt.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    One never knows where some of the 'garbage they spew' is coming from nowadays - hidden and falsified 'Made in U.S.A' stickers & labels, covering the 'China', 'Vietnam', etc., labels. 
    I specify 'from continental U.S.' in Ebay search parameters (Ebay parameter on left side), and still get items in my results that 'ship from China' - along with WHATEVER other garbage that Ebay decides I am interested in, outside my very specific parameters - and there is NO WAY to 'weed it out' any longer..

Ebay has gone from a 'primary source' for quite a bit, to an aggravation, 'place to avoid' and the 'last place to look'. 

That, along with 'Amazon' - and, I will NEVER be a 'Prime' member either..