Mike's '39 Hudson 112 Convertible Rebuild -

46HudsonPU
46HudsonPU Administrator
edited September 2022 in HUDSON
This was quite a while ago, however just in case you missed it..
https://fantomworks.com/project/1939-hudson-112/

It was actually one of 'FantomWorks' shows, and I've watched it at least 2-3 times (the program was discontinued a while ago, however it is continually in re-runs, so all you need to is be on the lookout for it to be shown again).
It is very interesting to watch, however as an owner of a couple of '39 Hudson 112s (both 'level 4' condition pickups - essentially 'rolling parts' that require EVERYTHING), I would like to have seen this as a 2-3 episode, bumper-to-bumper, detailed show of the restoration (I know & knew THAT would never happen).
Essentially, they BEGAN with a more than decent vehicle to begin with, given it's age.  See several items in the episode & in the website link that brought up questions (as an example, I wasn't aware that Hudson had any convertible model that was called a 'Hawk' (?)), etc..

Amazing work, done by an excellent 'crew'.  If I somehow fall into a BOATLOAD of $$, who knows..

Comments

• Yes, the Hawk thing is a mistake on their part. Yes, I'd love more details of the restorations too, including mine. It's interesting that almost every time it re-runs, someone contacts me about it.
  • With that many 112 pickups, you must have got the one south of Cambridge Md. 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2022
    tombia said:
    With that many 112 pickups, you must have got the one south of Cambridge Md. 
    My first '39 came out of TX, via Jim Guinn (see my forum 'avatar' photo). He indicated he had acquired it out west somewhere (unsure of exactly where). Didn't even come with a hard copy of a 'bill of sale' - took me close to 10 years to get a title for it;

The first time I set eyes on the second '39 was when it was offered for sale, from the Eastern Shore of MD.  It had been sitting outside in a field for at least 25-30 years, and very, very rusty (I think I have pictures, if I can find them);
    From there, it made its way to PA, becoming a 'stalled project' and offered for sale again;
    At that point, it was acquired (Cambridge, MD (?)), with the planned purpose of 'rodding' it - however, it again became a 'stalled project', and was offered for sale;
    It was sold, and found its way to Colorado, where a lot of work was done, including replacing the hopeless '39 frame with a '38 from a donor car out of Canada. The owner didn't have room for two projects, so when they acquired a running '36 Terraplane pickup project, he decided to 'donate' the truck to me, for the cost of shipping. The thought was to contribute to my '39, and hopefully have enough parts from the two trucks, to complete one..

BTW - Unless something has changed, there is a third '39 Hudson 112 Model 90 pickup within MD state boundaries. James Wible ('Teeny'), in Hollywood, MD is the proud owner of a restored 1939 Hudson 112 Model 90 pickup.  Most unusual feature of his truck?  It has door 'wing windows', which NO '39 Hudson 112 pickup ever had, at least not from the factory - doors and hardware acquired from a donor '39 Hudson sedan.

Here are the pictures of it, when it was offered from the Eastern Shore of MD.  A lot of what you see is gone, either discarded or just 'fell away', 'going back to earth'..

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The 39 Pickup purchased from Jim Guinn came from California.  Jim (RIP) was a good friend who moved cars from place to place with a Pickup and trailer.  "Your Pickup" was a ...pay for the return trip... purchase when Jim was faced with a dead head return after delivering a vehicle to California.  Jim stopped by my house with the Pickup when headed home ... so many years ago.   The best 39 I have ever seen was one that Pete Booz  restored. Again many years ago.... Cheers Ken 
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Still on my wish list as well , as you say Rick when the $$s come my way (not in this life of course) I will have a 112 Sedan , Pickup , Convertible and Panel Van in my garage.

As if :)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Paul... its just money... stop by your banker and show him your enthusiasm for ownership of a stable of 39 Hudsons.   :)   I can help you... I know where each of those examples reside... BTW there is a station wagon in Canada for sale too.   Cheers
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2022
    Glowplug said:
    The 39 Pickup purchased from Jim Guinn came from California.  Jim (RIP) was a good friend who moved cars from place to place with a Pickup and trailer.  "Your Pickup" was a ...pay for the return trip... purchase when Jim was faced with a dead head return after delivering a vehicle to California.  Jim stopped by my house with the Pickup when headed home ... so many years ago.   The best 39 I have ever seen was one that Pete Booz  restored. Again many years ago.... Cheers Ken 
    Yup.  I was an admin on the original 'ClassicCars Forum' years ago, and he inquired, asking for help to sell the truck.  I did so, and it 'grew' on me - as I recall, I bought it from him a few days later.  He was very busy with his hauling, it actually took two+ years to get it to me - LOL!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Glowplug said:
    Paul... its just money... stop by your banker and show him your enthusiasm for ownership of a stable of 39 Hudsons.   :)   I can help you... I know where each of those examples reside... BTW there is a station wagon in Canada for sale too.   Cheers
    Dang , I forgot the station wagon as well!

I could tell them it's a rock solid investment :)
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2022
    Glowplug said:
    Dang , I forgot the station wagon as well!

I could tell them it's a rock solid investment :)
    Saw that 'woodie', years ago at Doc's Meet in VA.  Understand that Hedley Bennett is reluctantly relinquishing his guardianship of his prized possessions.  No idea what he is looking-for ($), as far as the '39 Hudson 112 woodie wagon is concerned..

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Beauty!!!!  I appreciate wood bodied cars and the pictured 1939 checks all the boxes for me!!!!

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    It is indeed a thing of beauty
  • Since this started out as a post about my convertible, we might as well have a picture of it here.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Another thing of beauty of course @MikeSheridan. One day I'll get a ride in it!
  • Will you make the National in Branson, Paul? If so, I will bring it for you to get a ride in.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Will you make the National in Branson, Paul? If so, I will bring it for you to get a ride in.
    That's very much my plan Mike so I've added that to my (ever expanding) list of things that I want to do!

Looking forward to it