Engine rebuild recommendations

Hello All - 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good machine shop/engine builder near Virginia that is familiar with the 308? I am located a little over an hour south of Winchester.

I am working on a '52 Hornet Convertible that has been apart for many years. From what I can tell, the car currently has a '56 308 twin 6 engine. My goals for the engine are: a little more power, ability to run on modern gas,  a solid exhaust note, and reliability. To that end, it sounds like the typical updates include: larger valves, an exhaust header (is the Clifford header the best option right now?), an updated head, etc.). Are there any other modifications that should be considered?

I am somewhat new to Hudsons and appreciate all of the advice that is offered on this forum.

Thanks!
-Scott

Comments

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Hi Scott, I ran my 1947 Hudson pu with a 56 308 single 2 barrel carb and std steel head.Exhaust  intake and valves std. Had plenty of power, could cruise at 80 mph - stopping not so easy. Hudson 3 speed and O/D with 71 Ford Cougar 9 inch rear and 3:50 gears. Worked for me. Gert
  • Hello Scott. I'm Wookie and I live in Wyoming. I stumbled on to a race engine builder out here and had a lot of experience building flathead engines. He will be doing the machine work on my 7X engine. This includes the CNC work on my valve chamber 
  • Scott.  I’m in Winchester and I know a couple of folks to point you to.  PM me with your contact info
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You could contact members of the Tri-State Mountain Roads chapter of the Hudson club, they are centered in the Winchester area and would probably know of good machine shops.  You may want to join that chapter as well.