Bell Crank - Throttle Control

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
I'm looking for a Bell Crank - Throttle Control, part number 45169.
Interchange says it was used on 34 thru 36 all, 80, 81, 88, 89,, 90, 92, 98, 40, 48, 1941.
The slotted end on mine is worried out making it difficult to get the idle set.
Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Fill it with liquid Steel and file it to shape....
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Or weld it, either bronze or steel.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Another item that can cause idle setting and throttle return problems is the little vertical rod, the ball joints in those can get quite sloppy, if there is a source for replacements I'd like to know.
    If it were me, I'd also be finding a healthier looking spring. 
  • 35 Terraplane
    I thought about JB Weld OR just welding but figured I throw a fishing line out and see if anything came up. A magnet stuck to it very strongly but thought it could be cast iron not a steel forging.  If I was still working I could check it with the XRF gun and know for sure.  May have to take a trip back to the shop.  Yes Bob the spring is a little hokey, the original spring broke and I happened to have that one in my box of springs.  The vertical rod with ball ends seams OK.  Another slight problem with the bell crank is the center hole that mounts to the pin on the manifold is also worried out a bit.  JB should work for that.  We'll see.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Unbelievably a club member on the FB group had several NOS parts he'd gotten from a closing dealer years ago.  If the existing one I have is steel a weld repair could be in order.  I can use the NOS one to verify the slot length.  Every once in a while you get lucky.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    So the new one will last until around the year 2100  !!!  
  • bob ward
    If the centre hole is worn the pin it turns on could also be worn. I had that situation and solved it by first unscrewing the pin from the manifold to make sure I could get it out. After that I drilled the bell crank the minimum I could to make the worn hole true then made a new pin to suit the new hole.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    These must not have been big sellers back in the day, I have the same bundle in my stash of parts.. LOL
  • 35 Terraplane
    Bob, the mounting pin is worn.  Thanks for the heads up about it being threaded in.  Thought it may have been a press fit.  Soaked it with penetrating oil and tapped lightly with a small hammer for a bit.  Will repeat this for 4-5 times a day for 4-5 days until the new bell crank arrives and see what happens.  
    So they are out there.  Must have been a common service part.  

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If any of you guys are selling any of these NOS linkages, please put me down for one.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Well soaking the mounting pin didn't help.  Wouldn't budge and got nervous about twisting it off.  Did manage to peen the end slightly.  Gently filed the peened end.   Cleaned it with acetone and applied JB weld.   Cleaned that up with some emery tape.  New bell crank installed making adjusting the linkage easy. Still need to find a better return spring.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I substituted a threaded stud for the mounting pin. It works just fine.
    And, yes, you do need a better return spring ! :D
  • bob ward
    YT has videos on how to DIY springs using minimal tools, spring wire /music wire comes from Amazon in different diameters. Figure on your first 2 or 3 efforts being part of the learning curve.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I got a bag of assorted expansion springs from my local hardware store and one of them was just right for the return spring - worth a try before the hassle of making your own (with the greatest respect to Bob, I'm just lazy :D:D:D ) !
  • bob ward
    This return spring is 7/16" OD and has 30 turns of .055" spring wire, it was wound on a 1/4" mandrel. 

• 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Bob.  Looked YT and found video's on home made springs.  I may first look to see if I can find one the same OR similar to the one in your description & pic.