262 engine cast number info

hchtc
hchtc Member
edited July 2022 in HUDSON
262 engine in a 1951 commodore 6A , door tag 104968,  uncertain if it is original engine, block cast # 304298 CWC 4 and head cast # is 304621 2 CWC B121
any info one can decipher from these #'s
I have looked online under various vin and engine cast decoders, info  etc, but did not come across any info that had these #'s

Comments

• The engine serial number will match what's on the A pillar, if it is the original engine. The engine serial number is stamped on the right side of the block, just forward of the exhaust manifold.
  • Your cylinder head was cast on Feb. 12, 1951. (B121). There will be a similar date code just above the casting number on the block.
  • hchtc
    hchtc Member
    edited July 2022
    thanks ill look again , I bet the oil filter housing blocked the upper casting numbers on the block, as I didn't even see them
  • hchtc said:
    thanks ill look again , I bet the oil filter housing blocked the upper casting numbers on the block, as I didn't even see them
    The date code on the block, is just below the distributor, and hard to see. I usually use a small mirror.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You can go to my website and view a comprehensive engine code matrix that decodes each of the engines that were used by Hudson in a Stepdown....

https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Engine.htm

scroll down the page and near the top center is a link "Hudson Engine ID Codes"
    click the link and it will present a PDF chart that will provide the data you are seeking.   
  • not that it really matters,  but I did get the rest of the #'s off the block etc, and it appears that it is the original engine, just pretty awesome as its 70 some years old and the original.
    262 engine door tag 104968, block cast # C141 304298 CWC 4 and head cast # is 304621 2 CWC B121, head number in from of exhaust manifold is 104968, same as door tag. thanks for the insight.