Replacement Top Hose for 1934 and 1935 Eights ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
As this sort of thing isn't available "off the shelf" in parts stores, any suggestions about what can be used as a substitute, please ?

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    With the dead hose in my hand I go to a spare parts stores that has radiator hoses hanging on racks and pick through them. I don't usually find the exact item but quite often I can cut a section from a longer hose that will do the job. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Wise advice, Bob.
     I have also broken the end off the radiator drain tap, so I'll take that to the parts store as well.   
  • bob ward
    Be aware there are 2 standards for pipe threads, ie the threads on the radiator drain tap.
    The Hudson tap will be the US NPT standard, can't remember if it is 1/4" or 3/8" but both of them are 18 TPI. The rest of the world uses BSPT, 1/4" & 3/8" in BSPT are both 19 TPI.
    I didn't worry about a radiator tap, I screwed a hex head plug into the radiator thread. The advantage of that is when you remove the plug you have a much bigger opening for the exiting water than you do with a tap. Water comes out in a rush carrying all the radiator crud with it.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I purchased hand-wrapped radiator hose from these folks for my Terraplane.  They told me that it’s made in the UK.  https://restorationstuff.com/

Did you check with the Railton club for sources?
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    Be aware there are 2 standards for pipe threads, ie the threads on the radiator drain tap.
    The Hudson tap will be the US NPT standard, can't remember if it is 1/4" or 3/8" but both of them are 18 TPI. The rest of the world uses BSPT, 1/4" & 3/8" in BSPT are both 19 TPI.
    I didn't worry about a radiator tap, I screwed a hex head plug into the radiator thread. The advantage of that is when you remove the plug you have a much bigger opening for the exiting water than you do with a tap. Water comes out in a rush carrying all the radiator crud with it.
    Thanks Bob for that advice - that hadn't occurred to me.
    I was wondering if I could use a Series 1 Land Rover drain tap that looks about right but I'll get "English Bob" (you'll remember he did the clutch replacement for me) to check the thread on my tap first. I'm guessing it will be impossible to find a compatible replacement and a correctly threaded plug will be the best alternative.
  • bob ward
    If my experience down here is replicated in the UK NPT threaded items can be found but  have to be hunted for. A lot of hydraulic stuff uses NPT, I found my hex plug in such a business. NPT to BSPT adaptors exist and would enable you to use the Land Rover tap.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks very much Bob.
    "English Bob" says if I can't find an adapter, he'll fabricate a plug with the right thread for me. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Gates Part # H9038 works with trimming at both ends.