figuring out the junction box on a 1930 Hudson

Surmod
Surmod Member
The Junction box/light switch is a real rats nest in the 1930 Hudson Super 8 that I just bought.  So far I've determined which wire is the hot wire feeding it and the headlight terminal, brake light terminal, fuel gauge junction terminal.  But chasing the other wires is difficult since they are mostly all the same colour.  I have a 1931 instruction book and in it the diagram of the junction box is a total different shape, so I'm guessing it changed shape in 1931.  Does anyone have an illustration of the 1930 one?
I don't know the proper name for the components, but the non-conductive fibre plate is badly worn, and I'm wondering if I could just rebuild it using JB Weld by filling in all the worn recesses and bridging the one spot where it has completely worn through.  Unfortunately the first picture got posted upside down for some reason. 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Going  on your picture,  clockwise from the terminal with the yellow insulation strip, Battery, low beam, high beam, side lamps, rear lamp (also dash lamps).   The bottom row are just terminal  blocks.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The insulating material from which your badly worn plate is made can be bought, drilling a new one would probably be easier and a better job than trying to rework the old one.
  • Surmod
    Surmod Member
    Geoff said:
    Going  on your picture,  clockwise from the terminal with the yellow insulation strip, Battery, low beam, high beam, side lamps, rear lamp (also dash lamps).   The bottom row are just terminal  blocks.
    Thank you,  
  • Surmod
    Surmod Member
    bob ward said:
    The insulating material from which your badly worn plate is made can be bought, drilling a new one would probably be easier and a better job than trying to rework the old one.
    I had thought about making a new contact board ( can't remember the name of that stuff for the life of me)  But the holes would have to be dead accurate to the original as well as the thickness, or if might not work. I suspect any electronic place would carry that material.  It can't hurt by at least trying to duplicate it. 
  • Phenolic? McMaster Carr sells it.
  • Surmod
    Surmod Member
    54coupe said:
    Phenolic? McMaster Carr sells it.
    Thanks

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    A separate junction block and a push/pull headlight was the repair when they were daily drivers.
    Weren't concerned about original.
    You have a challenge at hand  to  repair that , but doable.
  • Surmod
    Surmod Member
    I've just repaired it, and as a dry run, the brass ring with the 3 bumps seems to be moving freely across the repaired areas.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.