Value on 48 Commodore, 6 cyl

I am new to the forum and would like some help valuing a car that just came up for sale in my area. It is a 1948 Commodore with a 6cylinder. Runs and drives great. Next interior with the exception of the headline. Exterior is an older restoration, looks great, it is a driver. Not sure on the mileage. I was asked to just make an offer. Thank you for your help. This would be my first classic car. I grew up going to car shows and auctions and I am drawn to the Hudson because I have a son named Hudson.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Please give us some undercarriage shots if possible.  Perimeter rust could make a huge difference in what it is worth.  It also appears to have a 308 or 262 engine - later than the original that would have been in the car.  Also cannot tell if there is OD or not?
  • There is overdrive and it works
  • More picturesre
  • Sorry the pictures are upside down.

• Last set of pictures
  • Door seals need replaced. The current owner states "Mechanical sound, just needs to have small little projects down to finish." He lost interest.

I drove it this afternoon. Drives good. Carb could use a cleaning.

I would use it to drive my kids around and enjoy it. 
  • If I were you, I'd check the frame's VIN against that hot-swapable door tag before making any offers.
  • Where is the frame's VIN?
  • So it’s kinda tricky , it’s supposed to be under the passenger side firewall support . 2 bolts and it will come out . Might have to scrape away the years of grime and possibly paint
  • 50C8DAN
    I am going to assume it has a good VIN.  No photos of the interior but assuming also except for the headliner it is OK.  The car looks like a great driver solid frame, has a visor that some like (no me, but others do), wide block 6 w/ OD trans.  I would give $9 to $12K.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    I am going to assume it has a good VIN.  No photos of the interior but assuming also except for the headliner it is OK.  The car looks like a great driver solid frame, has a visor that some like (no me, but others do), wide block 6 w/ OD trans.  I would give $9 to $12K.
    I'd agree on that price range too if that helps. It looks like there's some updated wiring. I see a 6V alternator on there.
  • Yes updated wiring in the engine compartment. 6v alternator. Owner has a mechanic that takes care of his cars. 

If the vin doesn't match, how much would that affect value? 
  • 50C8DAN
    I am not going to speculate on the VIN issue.  Rare and highly sought-after cars, like Corvettes, 60s muscle cars matching numbers are a big deal.  In the Studebaker world swapping frames is more common perhaps than others due to differences in low and higher end frame strength.  I also know shoe box Chevies ('55 - '57) the VIN is sometimes swapped and other times it is used on repro frames and kits.  Hudsons, well who cares really?  They are unibody and swapping frames is really difficult since it is a part of the body.  I guess if it was an Italia or convertible maybe, but I would not worry or put much stock on it.  This is a sedan and the most common body style Hudson produced.
  • 50C8DAN
    I should have added that my C8 is an odd animal.  I am the second owner and I bought it with only 32K mi on the odometer.  I did not even think that it was an oddball until I went to put my number on the Hudson registry.  The first three digits are 502, and when I saw that I said hey, it should be 504 as 502 is for a C6 and 504 is C8.  I looked everything over from top to bottom, it also has Supermatic, which is different on a 6 and 8 the way it mounts etc.  There is so trace the car was ever a 6, and I have a hard time believing a dealer would have taken the time and effort to make the switch.  I then looked at the build date on the title and it was late June.  My guess is that it was on the line and they wanted to use up certain parts before making the switch to '51s starting in about late July or August, or perhaps the original owner ordered the car from the dealer and wanted an 8 and the line accommodated his request, again late in the model year. So my engine number does not match my VIN number as it should!  However, I really don't care.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Great looking Hudson. Pictures of interior would be nice, but I don't think you could go wrong in the $10-12K range
  • Thank you for the help today. The deal.did not work out, but I gained a new friend.
  • I'm just saying, make sure you're buying paper that matches the car, and not just a metal plate that's clearly been removed and replaced for some reason. I agree non-numbers matching blocks are no biggie in most states as long as you have good paper on the body.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    50C8DAN said:
    Please give us some undercarriage shots if possible.  Perimeter rust could make a huge difference in what it is worth.  It also appears to have a 308 or 262 engine - later than the original that would have been in the car.  Also cannot tell if there is OD or not?
    I believe the 262 ci 6-cylinder engine is correct for 48
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    KevSeib said:
    Thank you for the help today. The deal.did not work out, but I gained a new friend.

So how much did he want for the car?
  • I believe he ended up getting 12k
  • 262 was the only 6 for 48-59. 
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    262 was the only 6 for 48-59. 
    There was a 232 6-cyl for the short wheel base models too.  Not to mention the 308 😎
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I think you meant 48-49.  Yes.  262 was the only 6 available for those years