'35 Terraplane at Antique Drags 2022

VicTor Z
VicTor Z Senior Contributor
'35 Terraplane

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Not that it matters much... Is it a Terraplane?  Single winged hood ornament, or the Hudson 2-winged?  With those hood louvers, it looks to be a 1934 Hudson.  Probably a Special 8 Series LT?  It looks to be a very nice deluxe car with the chrome horns, fender lights, rumble seat, probably dual side-mount spares.  A very desirable car if it is an 8 Cyl deluxe convertible.  Nice to see it, but I wish it was getting more of the care a car like that deserves.
  • MickeyB
    MickeyB Member
    I'm going to guess that is not a stock Hudson.  Check out the rear tires.  Drag slicks?  Doubt that a real Hudson eight would even need those.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Here's the link, Hudson at 9:20 and sounds like a H8.

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    It had a v8 put in it decades ago. The current owner is a regular at the Thursday night drags at Irwindale, and the Antique Nationals.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I've always liked this shot - sadly it's not mine!!
  • terraplane8
    Nice shot, but can't quite make out the writing on the side of the bonnet!
  • Nice shot, but can't quite make out the writing on the side of the bonnet!
    It says "Flathead 6"
  • terraplane8
    54coupe said:
    It says "Flathead 6"
    Hornet engine?

• Thanks for posting the video, that was fun to watch!
  • 54coupe said:
    It says "Flathead 6"
    Hornet engine?

Yes. Stroker 308 (probably around 353 cubic inches) with triple weber carbs on alcohol. It was owned and built by Randy Maas. I believe one of his sons own it now.
  • terraplane8
    54coupe said:
    Yes. Stroker 308 (probably around 353 cubic inches) with triple weber carbs on alcohol. It was owned and built by Randy Maas. I believe one of his sons own it now.
    what times and speeds does it run?

• Last I heard was 12.75 @108, or thereabouts 
  • speedyb
    speedyb Member
    edited June 2022
    This is my good friends 34 cabriolet, he purchased it over 20 years ago, at that time it was powered by a 324 olds. Its now powered by a 425 buick nailhead w/a switch pitch turbo 400 and a 9 inch ford rear. I've won 4 antique nationals with it and he's won 1 and placed well in some others.Bob has all the original pieces for the car, sidemounts and covers, 8 cyl engine, trans, rear, We drive the car everwhere and have yet to see another w/sidemounts and the deluxe hood.It might look a little rough but is well cared for and always garaged. with power steering and brakes make its a joy to drive ! 
  • She always keeps good company!
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    edited June 2022
    What's that in the far back on the bottom picture?  Another one, or a Ford?
    If there is a "high dollar car" in the early 30's Hudson lineup, they would be the convertible coupes, especially the Hudson 8s.  
    "To each his own" has always been the way of the HET Club.  This is such a beautiful iconic car.  That it's too good to dragsterize (especially if you have the original parts), I realize, is just one idiot's opinion.  [Attn content mitigation board - it's ME I'm saying is the idiot.]
    1934 Hudson 8 deluxe convertible coupe with rumble seat and dual sidemounts - WOW!  That is top of the line.
  • speedyb
    speedyb Member
    edited June 2022
    Yes its a rare beauty, my good friend has been doing "conversions" for years and thats the kind of car he likes, much much more of a driver than dragster, You know Bill Peck who's  widow he bought the car from had already converted it in the late 50's, so its sort of carrying on the tradition  of this particular car. As far as that car in the backround, it was a poor attempt at building a hot rod, just another guy that made a bad purchase and was hoping for a miracle!
  • terraplane8
    Very interesting story, this. A pretty good time too, definitely a sleeper!