1934 Windshield Crank Repair ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
According to the 1934 Owners Manual, the windshield crank has 3 opening positions and the ivory plastic button on the side of the handle locks the windshield in position in each of them.
This doesn't happen with mine - the windshield locks shut under spring pressure but will only stay open at the furthest out setting, otherwise it just flops about.
The ivory plastic button on the side of the handle doesn't move much and seems to be inoperative - does this suggest that something inside the handle is broken or maybe just needs lubricating in some way.
The handle is rivetted together and I'm worried about trying to take it apart without wrecking it.
Has any '34 owner had this sort of problem and how have they rectified it, please ?
Thanks,
David. 

Comments

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    sorry that I can’t shed any light on this.  I suspect it’s a broken spring or it’s just frozen.  My thought is that you could try penetrating oil and let it soak.  You may get lucky and free it up.  Better than pulling it apart first. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    sorry that I can’t shed any light on this.  I suspect it’s a broken spring or it’s just frozen.  My thought is that you could try penetrating oil and let it soak.  You may get lucky and free it up.  Better than pulling it apart first. 
    Thanks, Todd.
    I've seen a few of the handles snapped off on '34s over here in England and that's why I'm loathe to dismantle it.
    I'll try going down the WD40 route as you suggest and see what happens.
    It would be nice to get it operating properly for those (very few) English summer days when it's hot enough to need the air flow but if I can't get it to work that way, I think I'll just leave it alone as it locks up properly and the windshield doesn't leak.
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    I have taken these apart and I can recall writing an article in our HET Vic magazine.
    I will look for it and post it online.  I recently dismantled two complete units & had them re chromed but have not got around to putting them back together again.
    If I can not find the article, I will post the dismantled parts.
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    This is a pic of the Windshield Crank that I cut in half that shows the two small springs, larger spring and tongue which is prone to breaking and jamming the spring so the button will not operate.

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    The following is a crank that I have had chrome plated with springs, button & tongue.  The bolt with a slit up the middle is needed to push the spring back to release the button.  I have no idea why the pics are on the side

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    This is an article that I wrote way back in 2005 for the HETVic (Aust) newsletter.

• Old Fogey UK
    Thank you, Philster.
    That's very helpful.
    Now I've just got to summon up the courage to try dismantling the thing !
  • Old Fogey UK
    Before attempting anything drastic, I squirted some WD40 inside as Todd suggested  - and it worked !
    It's probably the first oil it has seen in 88 years.
    Now when I lift the lever, the button pops out and locks the windshield open; pressing the button releases the lock and allows the windshield to close.