Battery Isolator For 1934 And 1935 Cars

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
Help requested, please from any 34-35 owners who've installed a battery isolator.
1. What kind of isolator switch is best on an under floor battery installation ?
2. On a positive ground 6 volt system, where does the isolator go and to which cable is it attached ?
Thank you in advance.
David.

Comments

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    In 25 years I have had no issues with the “on post” turn knob disconnect. Regards, Tom
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Mine is on the hot side 
    regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the information.
    David.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Agree with Tom, David.  Hot side must be attached to the disconnect. My switch fits conveniently under the seat and protrudes out far enough to allow operation 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thank you too, Todd.
    I've fitted an Optima battery that is quite tall so I'll probably use one of those screw down switches that go at right angles to the terminal post as the Optima gives plenty of side room in the battery box.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Thank you too, Todd.
    I've fitted an Optima battery that is quite tall so I'll probably use one of those screw down switches that go at right angles to the terminal post as the Optima gives plenty of side room in the battery box.
    David-

Mine is mounted through the floor under the seat so I don’t have to reach under the car directly into the battery box. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    Thank you too, Todd.
    David-

Mine is mounted through the floor under the seat so I don’t have to reach under the car directly into the battery box. 
    Mine has a removable access panel in the floor just in front of the driver's seat.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I have the same wood battery access panel but it requires removing the door sill and rolling back the jute and rubber mat to remove the two screws holding that panel. That’s a PIA.  Much easier to flip the switch I installed which has discrete arm that protrudes slightly from under the seat. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    I have the same wood battery access panel but it requires removing the door sill and rolling back the jute and rubber mat to remove the two screws holding that panel. That’s a PIA.  Much easier to flip the switch I installed which has discrete arm that protrudes slightly from under the seat. 
    Please do you have a pic of your set-up, Todd ?

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I’ll get her out this weekend and snap some pics for you. 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Friend has a 36T which has the same battery arrangement as 34/5. Not sure how his battery disconnect works but all you see from inside the car is a knob on the floor just behind the back of the battery lid, I know the knob has a threaded brass rod hanging off the underside. Works well and its partially hidden by the seat overhang, give the knob a few turns one way or the other to make and break contact.
    I'll have a good look when opportunity presents, I want to make something similar for our 35H.

• Old Fogey UK
    I bought an isolator on Amazon that looks like a miniature version of the lever on "Old Sparky" in Sing Sing.
    It attaches to the negative post on the battery.
    You can mount the lever horizontally or vertically.
    I'm trying it horizontally first of all but I think I'll change it over to vertically and make a new cover board with a slot for the lever so I don't have to lift the cover off every time to use the isolator.
    When I've finished it off, I'll post some pics of the set-up.