I'd like to Buy 1934 Non-Terraplane Hudson Front end body parts

I need hood sides (6 doors each) and grille and grille shell.  They don't have to look as good as ones in pics.  If you have just the hood doors, I'd be interested in those.  If you have just the grille insert, I'm interested.  Thanks much, Douglas two51+46tree+839tree

Comments

• PLEA FOR HELP:  Please let me know if you have hood sides or grille insert  like those pictured for a 1934 Non-Terraplane Hudson with 116" WB.  Thanks much, Douglas 251.463-8393
  • FURTHER PLEA:  IF YOU'VE EVER HAD A FAB SHOP DUPLICATE THE STAMPED GRILLE INSERT, will you please provide contact info for fab shop.  None of my local shops will attempt unless I give them a pattern, which I don't have - other than phots.  Thanks much for any help you can provide.  Douglas 251.463-8393

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    My unsolicited advice is to do some research and find the member closest to you with a 34H.  That may be the source of patterns etc. for what you are trying to do - go to where they are and have a local shop there make them or make patterns.

Also remember that not everybody uses this forum; use WTN also.  Also look at hotrod sites.  That's how I found a 34T replacement engine block.  A hotrod guy may not have any use for the original engine, or hood sides, etc.

Now you know; our 1930s cars have become made of unobtainium.  For a time after getting my 34T 50 years ago, you could get some parts, and every-other meet pictured in the WTN seemed to have a 34T coupe in it.  Now it is only on very rare occasions that some 34T parts will come up for sale.  Since people with the cars are aware that parts are hard to get, anybody with spares is naturally reluctant to sell them.  Yes, yes; get more cars on the road; for the good of the marque, etc., but... 

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    dholck said:
    My unsolicited advice is to do some research and find the member closest to you with a 34H.  That may be the source of patterns etc. for what you are trying to do - go to where they are and have a local shop there make them or make patterns.

Also remember that not everybody uses this forum; use WTN also.  Also look at hotrod sites.  That's how I found a 34T replacement engine block.  A hotrod guy may not have any use for the original engine, or hood sides, etc.

Now you know; our 1930s cars have become made of unobtainium.  For a time after getting my 34T 50 years ago, you could get some parts, and every-other meet pictured in the WTN seemed to have a 34T coupe in it.  Now it is only on very rare occasions that some 34T parts will come up for sale.  Since people with the cars are aware that parts are hard to get, anybody with spares is naturally reluctant to sell them.  Yes, yes; get more cars on the road; for the good of the marque, etc., but... 

Agreed.
    It took me 5 years to find a serviceable headlight stand to replace a glued together one for my '34.
    A new Hudson badge for the radiator has proved to be 110% Unobtainium - I've had to use a white triangle emblem off a belt buckle !
  • thanks guys

• Old Fogey UK
    Apologies for my pessimism.
    If you were prepared to use a Terraplane cowl/grille and hood sides (the 116" wheelbase Terraplane Major had the same length hood as the Hudson Eight and the cowl from any 34 Terraplane should fit a Hudson of the same year), they'd be an alternative.
    Admittedly, it wouldn't look stock but it would work until you found the correct parts - and there were a lot more 34 Terraplanes built than 34 Hudsons, so logically there ought still to be more Terraplane body parts out there.
  • Old Fogey UK - current day, I've had the headlight stands remade for '33 Terraplanes using 3D printing There is a lady who refinishes badges. I believe she can make a new one from scratch with an example or with very good pictures and dimensions. I only had her refinish my original, so would have to check to be sure she can make from scratch.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK - current day, I've had the headlight stands remade for '33 Terraplanes using 3D printing There is a lady who refinishes badges. I believe she can make a new one from scratch with an example or with very good pictures and dimensions. I only had her refinish my original, so would have to check to be sure she can make from scratch.
    Thanks, Mike.
    When I eventually found a headlight stand, it cost me $20.
    The belt buckle badge cost zero - one day, a correct cowl badge will turn up but until then, here in Britain no-one knows the difference between a a belt buckle emblem and the real McCoy so I will wait until one turns up.
    I'm a firm believer in the old sayings "Everything comes to he who waits" and "Patience is a virtue often rewarded" 🙂🙂🙂
    All the best,
    David.

• Old Fogey UK:  thanks - I have a '34 terraplane grille that I plan to run until I located a '34 hudson insert.  If anyone has hood sides for a 116" wb '34 or '35 terraplane or hudson, I'd be interested in those until I can find 6 door hood sides.
  • Fortunately I have all of my inserts I am having the correct knobs for openers recasted as the originals 
  • voici

• CLEANED

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I believe club members in Victoria found a business that makes grilles out of stainless. Phil Haxby may know more.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I did a big favour for a man and in return I got a NOS bit of old pot metal. I dont need the badge for my 24H that was rebodied in 1934 to be a hearse. Because the 24H motor was so long they used st8 body panels. Im using a Terra grille. I will be getting made a similar badge but with a 6 instead of an 8.