6/12 volt switch for easy start - star 12v - car 6v...

comm47
comm47 Member
edited April 2022 in HUDSON

Comments

• Don't reinvent the wheel. We use Orpin 12v/6v converters in the US. Been around for years. I have one on my 1931 Franklin & have several spares.
    Research Orpin B solenoid switch.

• <

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Richard, weren't those Orpin switches made in Goldsboro?   
  • Yes, sold also as a package deal with a 4 post battery by Auto Battery Co.
    I have a 4 post battery on Franklin,  but don't  remember name. Think made for marine use. Not cheap but none are now.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    This is a good technical post, but sadly it won't get a lot of attention because it's posted under the "Instruction and Tips" on how to use the Forum.  Not on how to fix your Hudson!  My advice would be to post this over at the "Hudson" category of the Forum.
  • Looking back at this: believe it can be more explicit. Think people post under that heading are thinking they are giving others "instructions and tips", as it says.
    Perhaps should be: "How to USE the Forum: instructions & tips"
    ??
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    What is the purpose of this? As a 6V system in good order can start an engine just fine.
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    What is the purpose of this? As a 6V system in good order can start an engine just fine.
    If your Hudson isn't starting well on the original and correct 6 volts, you probably need a new ground cable, or it's below zero where you currently are.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    The purpose would be longer cranking power I would 🤔 
  • I personally have never heard a 6 volt car start quickly, and I am 85 years old !!!
    I have 12V on mine and can start within 1 second. When it sits for a month or so, I do spray starting fluid into the air filters to keep the starter from going over 2 seconds. Also, I have an elec. pump to 'prime' the carbs when cold. Pump carb acc pump for 3 times.
    DO NOT GRIND THE STARTER MORE THAN 2 SECONDS !!!!!  IF SO, SOMETHING IS NOT CORRECT !!!
    Have a 6v/12v Orpin on the '31 Franklin; crank 12V; run 6 volts !!
    But if you have 6V and things are OK, then don't change unless you want Air Cond., Bluetooth, quick start, etc, etc, etc. Each to his own, whatever.....................
  • terraplane8
    I started my 6V Terraplane today after a couple of months parked up, with the battery connected up all that while and just assumed to be fine. Put a bit of fuel in the carb and it started after a handful of piston strokes. Yes cranking speed is low especially pushing against the high compression I have, but that doesn't matter as it always fires right up. I've previously started it after many months lying up, 6V batteries seem to never go flat if they're in great condition and in cold temperatures.

I do see your point if you want Bluetooth, aircon, big stereo etc but I don't want any of that stuff as I've other cars with all that and more. I like it just as it was made.
  • I started my 6volt 262 after 3 weeks of sitting. No electric fuel pump, let it crank for about 10 seconds to get fuel. Pump about 7 times, let it set for several seconds then crank, always fires after about 3 revolutions. Still has original wires and battery cables. 
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    I do see your point if you want Bluetooth, aircon, big stereo etc but I don't want any of that stuff as I've other cars with all that and more. I like it just as it was made.

Denzil, I have a small 12V battery in the boot in a box (an old electric fence energiser casing) that feeds an aux outlet under the dash plus powers the trailer lights through relays in the box. Works brilliantly and the 6V originality is retained. 
  • terraplane8
    Alistair that is a great idea! I assume the earth is the body of the car as per normal.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Denzil & Alistair, In my 6 volt Essex Coupe, I used this Step-down module, available from Jaycar Electronics at about $10.00. I can run my cell phone from the 3 amps it can give.
    Dave Young
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    See above note