1929 ESSEX FRONT FLOOR MAT PROGRESS

Hans
Hans Senior Contributor
Hi Kevin, I am still VERY interested in the reproduction front floor mat!
I hope this process is well under way!
///////////////////
lt seems it has been about one and a half years ago this was started.
//////////////
I will notify you here I want one mat!  ( I might need one more a little later )
///////////////////
Anyone else, interested in a mat, add your name to this string.
This will help them to determine approximately how many mats to consider to be made.
////////////////
Thanks for the kind effort, Hans

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I'm also interested
    David Young

• I too am interested in one. Chris Defren
  • rusty_apache
    rusty_apache Member
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the interest Mr. Jacobsson. This was to have been my contribution to the club, since it is one of only two known to exist, and the only one that has been successfully removed without shattering! This is thanks to 90 years of cold New York State weather, preserving it and the sweltering South Texas heat, 91 years later, softening it enough to be safely removed. 

Unfortunately,  The situation has been out of my hands since 2020. Understandably, plague, pestilence and the dreaded trucker protests have delayed the process for some time now. I have requested that the mat be returned to me several weeks ago. Reproduction mats should be made available within a few months after I receive it. 

I apologize that I have not been more assertive in moving things along, but I have been dealing with my own health issues as well as those of my elderly parents. 

I will let you guys know of any further developments as they occur. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    ESSX28-1 said:
    I'm also interested
    David Young

David,  wont fit your car - right hand drive

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

Well, let's analyze this:
    Perhaps, some mats can be be obtained without holes being prepared. This might enable right hand drive vehicles to look their interior best.
    We should try to see if the ESSEX logo can be repositioned for them too. Or a suitable logo prepared to be "cut in to " the approximate position by owner.
    The ESSEX logo could also be cut in to running board material.
    /////////////
    With that, they should fit, unless some non US body maker performed their local magic.
    //////
    I would also wonder if they might be produced with wider aprons on each side for the possible use by those with roadsters.
    //////
    Just wondering if 1927 and '28 owners might be interested?
    If added width could be provided, 1930,31 and 32 cars could be included, and the volume could help reduce unit costs.
    ///////////////
    Now just might be the time to let the 'powers that be', be aware of our wants/needs.
    ///////
    Are there other good suggestions to be considered?
    Hans

• Might fit early Franklins also; some have left side emerg. brakes.
  • ESSX28-1
    These Essex logo inserts are being made in Australia. See Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10161604876086632&set=pcb.3124551167787673

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    interesting, they are for sale here on Rock Auto.
    /
    1929 ESSEX CHALLENGER 161cid L6 Floor Mat | RockAuto
  • ESSX28-1
    Thanks you Hans. Rock Auto are quoting a much better price than the Australians or Metro Rubber.
  • If it can be made wider for the 29 Essex roadster I would be interested.
  • 27esx33t8 said:
    If it can be made wider for the 29 Essex roadster I would be interested.
    Thanks for the interest guys. 
     It was to have been both wider and longer to fit all five 1928-29 models.

Sorry It’s sideways….

I would guess that they all would all need to be trimmed in some way for all models while the coupes would need to be both shortened and narrowed. 

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    HI Kevin, I will call you and try to find out what the holdup is. 
    Two years waiting is just not right.
    With your kindness is providing the only mat in existence that could be used we will have to get this moving.
    Your goal to have mats available, that should have been available for this year's international meet and for others around the world.
  • ESSX28-1
    Thank you Hans. The mats have just arrived from Rock Auto after your suggestion.
  • Hans said:
    HI Kevin, I will call you and try to find out what the holdup is. 
    Two years waiting is just not right.
    With your kindness is providing the only mat in existence that could be used we will have to get this moving.
    Your goal to have mats available, that should have been available for this year's international meet and for others around the world.
    Thanks for all your advice and encouragement Hans. Sorry about not returning your call, Mom’s Doctor has recently recommended hospice care which she isn’t accepting, so I have been emotionally overwhelmed with her health situation lately. 
    I have nothing new to report on my mat and am beginning to realize that I foolishly put my trust in the wrong person. One would assume that a Hudson Club official would be forthright, honest and dependable in all their endeavors but this is apparently not always the case. It’s terribly disheartening, especially at a time when membership of all classic Automobile clubs are dwindling and our very survival depends upon attracting and retaining new members. This unfortunate behavior seems awfully counterproductive to that cause and wildly uncharacteristic of the membership of a respectable organization. 

I’ve had a wonderful experience and encountered many kind and helpful people in my HET Club affiliation but it’s certainly distressing to be put through such an ordeal, simply because in some way I merely wanted to share my good fortune with other left hand drive Essex owners, worldwide.  

I felt truly blessed to acquire such a well preserved automobile and felt such good will towards the club for the opportunity that it provided for me to acquire the little survivor coupe but this isn’t how I expected to be treated for this sacrifice. Especially after paying for the initial shipping and crating in 2020 and then offering to defray all expenses incurred in returning what is rightfully my property to the United States here in 2022.

I’m not angry about this predicament, just profoundly disenchanted and sorely disappointed. 

• 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Kevin, I'm truly disappointed in the person you entrusted with the mate project.  Perhaps the officers of the club could could reach out to him and get a response as to the status of this project.  At a minimum they could apply pressure on him to return your original mate.  
    Tom
  • Kevin, I'm truly disappointed in the person you entrusted with the mate project.  Perhaps the officers of the club could could reach out to him and get a response as to the status of this project.  At a minimum they could apply pressure on him to return your original mate.  
    Tom
    Thanks for the suggestion Tom,
     I have already contacted them earlier this year to make them aware that there’s an issue. I was told that there’s nothing the USA club can do. 

However I hope to be sending you the application for Texas title for your signature some time in 2022. I have already allowed this sad situation to delay putting the coupe on the road long enough. 

Thanks again for saving it from the hot rodders and passing it on to me!

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Kevin, any info on the Essex floor mat issue.

I suspect there are others that want this to progress to help them with obtaining a suitable mat for their cars.

Do you have an idea of the number of interested persons?
  • The only parties that have expressed an interest that I know of are here in this thread. 

I have been needing to update my classified ad in the WTN since I now have located a usable set of rumble seat cushions, and possibly a rumble step.

I intended to post a query there to get an idea of the amount of interest outside the realm of the “internets”. 

Dear Mother has recently  “graduated”. My only regret is that I let this unfortunate setback interfere with the progress, so she never had the opportunity to ride in my coupe. However Heaven is a better place than Texas, even in the springtime, riding in an Essex!
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    So sorry for your loss, may She rest in peace. 
  • 35 Terraplane
    Sorry to hear about your mom
  • Thanks guys,
    She had been suffering from the end stages of CREST Scleroderma for about forty years. She survived three transient ischemic attacks, expressive aphasia and brain bleeding. Most Scleroderma patients don’t survive even one such episode. 
    The week before she had her last episode she expressed her desire to forego the massive amounts of medications and receive hospice care.
    I reassured her that I didn’t want her suffering on our account and she thanked me. Fortunately she didn’t have to wait long and passed peacefully and painlessly. 
    I am at peace because I have no regrets and did everything in my power to make her life comfortable. She was strong in her faith and knew she was bound for heaven.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Kevin, the International Meet is almost here.

Can you update us on 1929 Essex floor mats?

Perhaps we can put up a notice to help identify those interested, to help things move.

Hans
  • I have spoken with Mr. Mozynski because he had a mishap and I wanted to be certain that he’s still up for the trip and not pushing his recovery on my account. He assured me that he is fine so he will coordinate with Gary for the handoff. Hopefully more offline members will get word of this. 
  • Kevin, Any progress on the floormats? Still interested.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    me  tooooo!
  • Thanks to Don Mozynski, who protected it with cardboard, Chris Rivas and Kenneth Cates’ indispensable assistance, the Mat is reunited with the car. 

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    GOOD NEWS

• 35 Terraplane
    Yippee 👏👏
  • More good news, they are soon to be back in the works!
    I will be making another crate and hopefully shipping it back out tomorrow.
  • I’d also be interested in a floor mat