Worth a shot?

I hope the pics come through this time.

Comments

• A friend's widow reminded me that he had this. Is it worth resurrecting?
  • Dirty but appears pretty complete
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    YES  IT IS!
  • I have been trying to talk myself out of it, but I hate to see it abandoned or trashed. I also don't have a good idea on what to offer for it. Any ideas?

• Also depends on how much rot it has, judging by the front of the hood, better check it over good before getting to deep 
  • Where is the car located?
  • In a barn in Arkansas
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Dirt floor sheds/barns are VERY tough on the underside of cars.

regards, Tom 
  • Is the car for sale?
  • Tigermoth, I agree. I have seen relatively new cars rotted from below from sitting in chicken houses. I am pretty sure that is the case here. We are going to roll it out and take a look underneath pretty soon, as the weather around here is clearing up.

Cheyenne7271, If I decide to pass on this and if the family wants to sell, I will post details and contact info here.

My original thought was to get it running and do a minimal restoration (survivor class) but it looks like it may take too much $$ to make it worthwhile. I am hard pressed to make a case for it. Maybe it would be better as a parts source. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    maybe this is better.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Looks to be a '50 C6 or C8.   Be nice to see more photos.  Imagine interior is shot, but hey you never know.  Always sad to see these sitting in this shape for sure.
  • 1950 C6
  • Some interior shots. 
  • 50C8DAN
    Has the same interior colors as my '50C8.
  • A couple more. Kind of impressed that there is still air in those tires. I read somewhere that they had a color called (American) Legion blue. Could that be it?
  • Looks like everything is there.
  • That's half the battleright there... Looks like the drive master is still there too. I bet it's in better shape than we think.
  • 50C8DAN
    Is the exterior blue or black?  It is hard to tell in the photos.  My C8 is black with blue interior.  Except for the surface rust, the photos are not that bad so far.  What does it look like underneath, however?
  • I have a 50 Super 6 that’s Legion Blue, pretty where the sun didn’t fade it to blue-greenish
  • Superwasp, that's just the kind of thinking that convinces me to drag stuff like this home. :) I have been lucky over the years with things not being as bad as I first thought. Currently on the end stages of an old Jeep I adopted last year (from a different barn in OK). There isn't really anything I see on this C6 that I can't deal with, but can't really justify it on a cost basis. Perhaps I will bring it home out of curiosity and if it needs too much work, part it out. Definitely not worth doing a full resto.

50C8Dan, I won't be able to look underneath until Jr. pulls it out of the barn and we lift it up. At that point, I'm pretty much committed. What would you long time Hudson owners do?
  • Looks like the missing trim is in the trunk. Hinges are blue, so that must be body color.
  • It might not necessarily deserve a full major resto, but if sheet metal rot is minimal and the perimeter frame isn’t rusted or is only minimal rusty then there’s nothing wrong with getting it running and do a mechanical restoration and fix as you go. Expect the floorboards to have some rot but that’s easily repairable. From what I can see don’t part the car out sell it to somebody that wants to play with it
  • 50C8DAN
    The fact that it is complete is surely a real plus.  It does not look like someone took it apart and parts disappeared.  
  • Also leave the Super-Matic-Drive stuff intact, yes it’s finicky but is a conversation starter at the car shows lol
  • You guys are not helping my wife's case any :) 
  • 50C8DAN
    edited March 2022
    Get it out spray it down and then take a closer look.  With all the dust and grime it is hard to see what you have.   Have they put a price on it.

Just to give you some perspective, my '50C8 was in very similar shape.  I found it in a garage in NJ, w/ dirt floor, had not moved in at least 20+ years.  It was covered in a thick coating of dust and I could not see inside.  However, it only had 30K miles and was complete, Supermatic and all.  I even think it had the original tires that held air.  It needed an engine rebuild due to a burned piston and valve, but I did not even change any bearings, except for the cam bearings.  It is a supercar now and drives great.  I will say your interior looks shot compared to mine, but otherwise, it looks just like mine.
  • I have started with worse and ended up okay, but that was a pickup with much less interior and brightwork to deal with.

For some reason Hudsons are the only cars I ever thought looked good as a 4 door or that I would even consider driving. I didn't even like the 4 door F150 I had. Jeep has no-doors, so that is fine. 
  • While I have your attention, can you tell me what the cable/pulley system on the cowl is for? Looks like aviation stuff. Does this car have flaps?
  • 50C8DAN
    you mean on the side of the engine?  Not sure what photo you are referring to.  If you mean on the engine that is the Supermatic drive, an electromechanical automatic transmission shifting mechanism.