47 Swap?

Just getting started fixing up a 47 Commodore 8, but don't think the engine/trans will be rebuildable. Want something we can just hop on the highway and visit family so considering the idea of swapping in either a new driveline or even a full chassis swap (probably not). Has anybody done a similar swap with good results? 

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    First, why don't you think the H8 is rebuildable?  

Here is a thread I started as an option. 

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/367011/if-you-must-go-with-other-than-hudson-power#latest

• Haase
    Haase Member
    Didnt see that, thanks! It has been sitting partway taken apart next to the car outside for over a decade so it got weathered quite a bit. 
  • I put a 5.7L Hemi in my '47 Super 6. Stock frame boxed, with air ride. I did 4link the rear with a '06 mustang rear end. only slight modification to the fire wall (honestly could have just dented it in a bit) and modified the trans cover to fit the 545rfe auto transmission.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Don't toss the H8 as someone may be interested in the parts

• Haase
    Haase Member
    Oh yeah, never throw anything good away. Any parts that are still useable after a deeper look will go into the giveaway pile. 

And that sounds like quite the swap @scar426. Lets me know that if I want to go big it is an option as long as I think things through in advance like boxing the frame. Thanks!
  • Why not a running Hudson big 6 engine? They get on the highway just fine to go see family and have for years. Then you still have a Hudson and if you want to rebuild the 8 and out in at a later time you can. 
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    In my Hudson 1947 pu I put in a 1956 Hornet 308 with 3 speed and overdrive. The rear axle was a 1971 Cougar 9 inch with 3:50  to 1 gears. I had it clocked at 80 mph. Drove 
    it all over the Western US. 
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I could use the H8 crankshaft as I have a couple of bare blocks and the rest of the parts to make a motor.

• HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    edited February 2023
    My 1946 2 door sedan has a 1953 wasp 262 wit a 7X style block relief,Twin H,long tube headers with dual exhaust,4010 gears with 3 speed overdrive (soon a 700R4). My 47 coupe has a dual quad 455 Buick with NOS,TH400 trans and a 9"Ford rear end with 2.75 posi and has run a best at Carlsbad raceway of a 12.83 ET @106.38 MPH. My best friend has a 46 Commodore with a 400 Pontiac,TH400 and AMC rear end.His 53 wasp has a 455 Buick in it and my 53 Hornet had a 455 Pontiac in it  (now a 400 Pontiac). The car on the left is my 46 and the lower picture is my 47. All the swaps in this post are done so that a Hudson drive train could be easily put back in these cars.

Hudson's handle power very well.
  • That top pic with Don Honstein’s chopped and sectioned 47 was taken at Burger City in Sacramento.  Brought back a ton of memories seeing pic.  Thank you for that.  
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    AndrewSilva that was a fun meet and I had a blast.